Tigger pods culturing

andrewt258

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First issue:
Does anybody have experience with culturing tigger pods? I just started 2 cultures of tigger from reef nutrition. I followed the same protocols for both but 1 seems healthy and the other one is slowly dying. I then found some information saying tigger pods only last 2-3 days. Should I culture different type of pods or Am I doing something wrong?

This is the protocols that I followed. Both vessels are sterilized. Air pump on with 1-3 bubbles per second

Day 1: acclimate the pods in bottles then transferred to vessels. Feed 5ml of phyto

Day 2-5: add 1 cup of freshly made saltwater(1.025 sg) until reached 1.5L. Feed 5ml of phyo.

Second issue: tetra culture.

I started my culture using starter from Mercer of Montana. After 10 days I split the culture and started 2nd batch. Today is day 10 for the 2nd batch but it’s not as green as I thought it would be. So I went ahead and added 1ml of F2 fertilizer. Do you think my culture crashed. Or maybe my light is not strong enough? Im running 16/8 light cycle. Included the photo of 1st and 2nd batch. You can see the first batch has a darker shade of green. And help is appreciated

IMG_0271.jpeg IMG_0272.jpeg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know about the tetra but tiggers live longer than 2 days for sure, they can live a couple of months. It takes about 3 weeks for them to reproduce, I would harvest the culture once a month. Don't worry about how many ml's of phyto, the culture should be the colour of green gatorade. Abundance of food triggers the reproduction instinct.

But yes you can try different pods, tiggers stay more in water column so get eaten and end up disappearing from the tank. Tisbe and apocyclops are much smaller than tiggers, and they stay on the rocks and breed in the rocks so the tank will forever be populated by them.

OP
OP
andrewt258

andrewt258

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know about the tetra but tiggers live longer than 2 days for sure, they can live a couple of months. It takes about 3 weeks for them to reproduce, I would harvest the culture once a month. Don't worry about how many ml's of phyto, the culture should be the colour of green gatorade. Abundance of food triggers the reproduction instinct.

But yes you can try different pods, tiggers stay more in water column so get eaten and end up disappearing from the tank. Tisbe and apocyclops are much smaller than tiggers, and they stay on the rocks and breed in the rocks so the tank will forever be populated by them.
Judging by the color from my photo. Do you think I should dose more? Thank you

SmolGoby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have thousands of tigger pods growing. They repopulate extremely fast. I'm using a 5 gallon tank & a cheapo tetra heater. I also keep a very strong bubble flow, as opposed to most that say 2-5 bubbles per second. And added some little figurines just to give them a place to sit on, some people use copepod hotels. I put 2 tablespoons of phyto in the tank every 3 days & they eat so much the water goes from dark green to a cloudy white, you can see the results in real time & it only took 2 weeks for them to explode in popultation after putting together this little tank. Before this set up I had almost exactly what you have set up & all the pods died in a few weeks & never reproduced. I can't take the credit though, I posted asking for help in a FB group & someone with this same setup gave me the same advice I'm giving you now. It works! Can't help with your tetra culture issues though.

pod.jpg

OP
OP
andrewt258

andrewt258

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have thousands of tigger pods growing. They repopulate extremely fast. I'm using a 5 gallon tank & a cheapo tetra heater. I also keep a very strong bubble flow, as opposed to most that say 2-5 bubbles per second. And added some little figurines just to give them a place to sit on, some people use copepod hotels. I put 2 tablespoons of phyto in the tank every 3 days & they eat so much the water goes from dark green to a cloudy white, you can see the results in real time & it only took 2 weeks for them to explode in popultation after putting together this little tank. Before this set up I had almost exactly what you have set up & all the pods died in a few weeks & never reproduced. I can't take the credit though, I posted asking for help in a FB group & someone with this same setup gave me the same advice I'm giving you now. It works! Can't help with your tetra culture issues though.

pod.jpg
I see that you dont have a lid. So i guess you just add fresh RODI to evaporated water right? Also what temperature are you keeping the pods at? Do I absolutely need to have light for pods culturing?

WOULD YOU EVER CONSIDER HAVING A FOWLR TANK? WHAT WOULD BE YOUR FIRST FISH?

• Yes!

Votes: 33 38.8%
  • No...

Votes: 33 38.8%
  • I already have one!

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • I did have one, but I don't anymore...

Votes: 13 15.3%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back