Tilefish Knowledge?

SJAREEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had a red stripe tilefish for about four months and absolutely love this fish. He has an incredible personality. Was wondering if anyone has any firsthand experience with tilefish since there is very little I can find on the web. Mine ALWAYS appears to be hungry.

NjHGUvU%Tua3WZHlvC3IKQ.jpg

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love tilefish! They are prone to swim bladder infections when first collected, but after that initial period they are relatively hardy.

They are always prone to jumping. In the beginning it is because they are very skittish, but once they get used to you, they are prone to jumping out of sheer excitement.

I've had some get hand tame and they would swim around my arm when doing maintenance.

As long as they have a bolt hole, peaceful tankmates, and a tight lid , you have everything you need.

They are very peaceful

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love tilefish! They are prone to swim bladder infections when first collected, but after that initial period they are relatively hardy.

They are always prone to jumping. In the beginning it is because they are very skittish, but once they get used to you, they are prone to jumping out of sheer excitement.

I've had some get hand tame and they would swim around my arm when doing maintenance.

As long as they have a bolt hole, peaceful tankmates, and a tight lid , you have everything you need.

They are very peaceful

what kind of fish are no go for tankmates with them?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what would you say is minimum tank size for them? and they're social aren't they? groups ok?
40 breeder would be the absolute smallest for 1. They can be kept singly, in pairs, and in groups. They are very chill. The only exceptions are the golden and fourmani. They can be assertive to other tilefish species.

OP
OP
SJAREEF

SJAREEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies @evarose @eatbreakfast only problem I’ve ever had with mine is a case of bubble eye but after that he’s been a tank! If anything he’s the boss of my tank but very chill I can almost hold him. He does get excited to be fed jumped right out the tank one day.

WHAT'S THE BIGGEST FISH IN YOUR TANK? SHOW IT OFF, NO MATTER HOW BIG OR SMALL!

• >1 inch.

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • 1 - 3 inches.

Votes: 27 40.9%
  • 4 - 6 inches.

Votes: 24 36.4%
  • 7 - 9 inches.

Votes: 7 10.6%
  • 10 - 12 inches.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 13+ inches.

Votes: 3 4.5%