Toadstool still no polyps out

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, awhile back I posted about my toadstool keeping it's polyps closed. that has been about a month now. It's color is great, and it gets smaller at night, and quite big during the day, but it's polyps are never out anymore. I have read up on them shedding their waxy coating, and from what I am understanding that can take awhile. Other than no polyp extension, it looks good. Parameters are ALK 8.5, calcium 429, salinity 1.026, temp 78, phos. .03, NO3 25ppm. everything else in the tank looks great. Is there anything I can do to help it along so it can open back up? I have flow on it indirectly, and I have used a turkey baster full of water on it a few times. but I am starting to get concerned.

OP
OP
Sophie"s mom

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tickled mine with a toothbrush and an hour later it was popping polys
Hmmm, sounds interesting. on the top where the polyps come out? or underside at the trunk area? And please be more specific about how you "tickled" it. Soft bristle I assume. and extremely lightly I assume.

scotty333

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the top where the polyps should be , I used a medium soft brush and used a little force , you’ll not damage it as it’s not surgery , a bit less than the pressure using on your teeth

OP
OP
Sophie"s mom

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the top where the polyps should be , I used a medium soft brush and used a little force , you’ll not damage it as it’s not surgery , a bit less than the pressure using on your teeth
Awesome! Thank you for this. I will give it go tonight when I get home.

jimeah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might just be sulking if you’ve only had it a month…

My clownfish is constantly rubbing against my shroom, and often uses it like a sleeping bag at night as it curls up around her, polyps are out all day, so I will second the tickling suggestion!

OP
OP
Sophie"s mom

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might just be sulking if you’ve only had it a month…

My clownfish is constantly rubbing against my shroom, and often uses it like a sleeping bag at night as it curls up around her, polyps are out all day, so I will second the tickling suggestion!
No, I have had it for about 4 months now, it has not opened its polyps for about a month. It initially extended itself fully all day. But it has closed up one other time, but that only lasted about a day. It still looks very healthy color wise. Its polyps just don’t come out. So I am going to try the toothbrush thing today.

Doctorgori

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have 4 toadstools. If nitrates bottom out for a day or two they sometimes take a month to open again.
I have a green one…It goes days without polyp extentions
I’ve alsoI have one that has never shown any polyps

jimeah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clownfish snuggling into my shroom, I’ve had this for nearly 2 years, I do remember being really disappointed with it for a while for the same reasons you are experiencing.
I think the rubbing the clownfish does must signal to the shroom that it is safe and the fish waste (food) is there to eat.

Interested in knowing if you have success with the “tickling”

Attachments

• IMG_9954.jpeg
    IMG_9954.jpeg
    142 KB · Views: 57
OP
OP
Sophie"s mom

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a green one…It goes days without polyp extentions
I’ve alsoI have one that has never shown any polyps
I have a question. The one whose polyps never open, how does it survive/eat? Can they survive through photosynthesis without polyps opening?

OP
OP
Sophie"s mom

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clownfish snuggling into my shroom, I’ve had this for nearly 2 years, I do remember being really disappointed with it for a while for the same reasons you are experiencing.
I think the rubbing the clownfish does must signal to the shroom that it is safe and the fish waste (food) is there to eat.

Interested in knowing if you have success with the “tickling”
I will let you know. I did it today, but I really don’t think it cared much for it. Here is a picture of it after the toothbrush tickle

Attachments

• IMG_7126.jpeg
    IMG_7126.jpeg
    198.9 KB · Views: 48

Doctorgori

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have a question. The one whose polyps never open, how does it survive/eat? Can they survive through photosynthesis without polyps opening?
Can’t answer that, I’ve had a brown Devils hand/fingers that never showed polyps yet I cursed the day I got one as it spreads like crazy …. Also the run o mill brown mushroom leathers often never show any polyps either …
Advise against stocking either ..

OTOH these some of the green ones seem to have polyp extension almost constantly.. but again not 100% consistently … like I said another goes several days on, several days off …I can’t figure out any pattern

..also some seem to have longer polyps than others..
Lots of variation with this clan

OP
OP
Sophie"s mom

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m getting our engineers on it now Sophie
Good morning, one more question about this toadstool and polyp extension/ toothbrush tickle. When I did the toothbrush thing, I did see some green dut come off and into the water. Where I brushed it, it is now a greyish color. But there is still a lot of bright green on it. So should I try to remove more green? Or is that a bad thing? Will the green come back where it appears that I brushed it off? The green that is still there is very bright, so is that a sign that it is still the waxy coating? Sorry for the bombardment of questions.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

DO YOU PREFER BIGGER TANKS OR SMALLER TANKS? WHY?

• The bigger the tank, the better it is!

Votes: 29 76.3%
  • The smaller the tank, the sweeter it is!

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 7.9%
Back