Tom’s Jump Back In (Fluval Evo 13.5 Buidl)

tom.06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey y’all, this is my first post after lurking in the shadows for a while!

I know there is a lot of people with similar setups already out there, but this is my go at it. Ive attempted to keep reef tanks several years back, and although I loved it, I could’ve done better. Every move I made was out of mom and dad’s wallet(I was still in middle school), and I rushed right in with no plan and no expectation.

I did keep a single clownfish, a single diamond goby, and a few zoa frags alive for around 5 years, until it all crashed while I was on vacation. Now, reusing the same old fluval evo 13.5, I’m jumping right back in.

This time, it’s with my own funds, and own plans. I am currently in college right now, and studying biology(fitting right?). I’ve taught myself the nitrogen cycle, and all of the reefing chemistry I need to know. Needless to say I was eager to start saving up my money and get to work.

Right now, the tank is currently almost 4 months old. My first steps after getting wet were to upgrade the lights. I previously only kept the EVO stock lights, and they actually held up well. But it was still time for an upgrade. I went to my lfs, bought an AI Prime 16, and I am in love.

I am running chemi-pure and bio max in my second chamber, along with a piece of established live rock from my lfs display system(to get me through cycle). I used around 15ish lbs of live sand, and 10 lbs of dry rock, all of which have colored up nicely.

I have started to see growth of coralline, as well as copepods already, and all of my livestock is looking great!(I will touch back later). The tank has been pretty smooth sailing up to this point(knock on wood), besides one road block.

Around two months ago, I hit a bad bacterial bloom. My water turned into what I thought looked like spoiled milk, all murky and green. I have used nothing but RO/DI water, and my parameters have all been stable after the cycle. I did some research on here(while in the shadows), and decided to order the Big Green Killing Machine UV (9w), and within hours my water has never looked so pristine.

I have loved this process so far, and am exited for the rest, and I am excited to share it all with you. My equipment and stocking are as followed:

Equipment:
-Fluval Evo 13.5
-AI Prime 16(set on a lessened and modified Saxby setting)
-Stock fluval pump
-Big Green Killing Machine (on 9hr timer)
-Chemi-pure Elite
-Fluval 100W Heater

Stocking:
-Pair of clownfish(black misbar, and vivid ocellaris, both SA)
-15 Assorted Scarlet and Blue Leg Hermits
-12 Assorted snails
-1 Pink Pincushion Urchin
-1 Blastomussa Frag
-1 Rainbow Acan Frag
-2 Small Kenya Trees
-Red People Eater Palys
-Orange Bam-Bam Zoas
-Orange Nebula Zoas
-Whammin’ Watermelon Zoas
-GSP Frag
-Pulsing Xenia Frag
-Single Green Mushroom
-Two headed Duncan Frag
-Rainbow Bubble Tip Anemone
(I know it’s early, let me explain myself)

Yesterday after school, I took a harmless stop by my lfs knowing it was shipment day, looking for maybe another mushroom(I love the look of a mushroom garden). He normally gets his coral shipments from North Carolina, which have obviously been hurt from this hurricane. He told me that most of his shipment was DOA, but he had managed to rescue a couple nems. I have previously kept BTA’s, somehow successfully. He told me that one of them was struggling however with the other bigger BTA’s, and asked me if I wanted to give it a shot for a better home(also at no cost). I was planning on getting one later down the road, but I had to take the opportunity.

Today, he has almost quadrupled in size, and found his footing happily in my tank. I will continue to watch him, but I think he will be okay.

I am currently letting the water clear up after a glass clean/water change, and will update yall with pics hopefully later tonight.
But needless to say I am excited for my tank, and excited to be apart of the R2R community!

Last edited:
OP
OP
tom.06

tom.06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2981.jpeg
Here is a recent pic of my pincushion, which I have named Steve. He is my pride and joy so far

OP
OP
tom.06

tom.06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I forgot to hit on a few more things in my earlier posts. I feed Sustainable Aquatics clearly compete fish pellets 5x a week, and a frozen mysis and brine mixture 2x a week.

I have maintained a 20% water change every 10 days after the cycle, but one main goal I have for this tank is low-maintenance. From my experience, I have learned sometimes it’s best just to keep your hands out of it. I plan on keeping this tank purely manual, besides the timers. I do RO top offs myself as needed, and feed from my hands every night. I want to prove to myself I can do it, without doing too much at the same time.

I do recommend for other beginners, the bigger the better. If a bigger tank just is not plausible however, the fluval evo is an amazing choice. I also highly recommend the AI Prime upgrade, as well as the UV. It is worth the extra cash.

And I do know my reef can always improve, and there is still a lot of room for improvement. However, it is hard not just to sit back and smile at it. My cats love it, my girlfriend loves it, and I love it.

Now, here are some pics:

IMG_3127.jpeg

IMG_3128.jpeg

IMG_3134.jpeg

IMG_3056.jpeg

I forgot to mention my leather toadstool in my earlier post as well, located in between the palys and steve.

IMG_3055.jpeg

Here are my kenya trees, both of which have at least doubled in size since I got them.
IMG_3130.jpeg

My early beginnings of a zoanthid/play garden.
IMG_3136.jpeg

IMG_3126.jpeg

Top view of my sump and filtration.

IMG_2980.jpeg

My beautiful clown pair, before I have fattened them up. Which I have yet to name, any recs?

IMG_3135.jpeg

My new BTA, which I am starting to doubt is actually rainbow. But nonetheless, seems to be doing way better.
IMG_3137.jpeg

My blasto and acan frags, please mind the dirty glass it was pre water change/glass clean.

IMG_3138.jpeg

Another pic of the main attraction, Steve.

I will continue to update, especially when my duncan coral opens back up. It is the most stunning IMO.

Also, I am open to any questions, comments or concerns, and I would love any tips you all have!

Last edited:

zerozero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I have an 13.5 Evo too. Your tanks looks really cool and I love the urchin.

I've been mulling over getting a BTA in a few months when the tank is better established, but the stories about them going walkabout and laying waste to the rest of the tank concerns me.

Any tips or advice about BTAs?

OP
OP
tom.06

tom.06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I have an 13.5 Evo too. Your tanks looks really cool and I love the urchin.

I've been mulling over getting a BTA in a few months when the tank is better established, but the stories about them going walkabout and laying waste to the rest of the tank concerns me.

Any tips or advice about BTAs?
You will need to keep a close eye on them for the first little bit after introducing them into the tank, as most of them do love to wander. However, I know there are a few threads teaching how to keep your power heads free of anemones.

The main thing is just making sure you introduce them at a time where your tank is clean and established, and making sure they get the adequate flow and light they want. If they can’t find a spot in your tank that they like, they can be a hassle. However, in most cases they will find a spot that they like, and once they get a good foothold, they are IMO one of the best additions to a tank.

zerozero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will need to keep a close eye on them for the first little bit after introducing them into the tank, as most of them do love to wander. However, I know there are a few threads teaching how to keep your power heads free of anemones.

The main thing is just making sure you introduce them at a time where your tank is clean and established, and making sure they get the adequate flow and light they want. If they can’t find a spot in your tank that they like, they can be a hassle. However, in most cases they will find a spot that they like, and once they get a good foothold, they are IMO one of the best additions to a tank.
Thank you. Can you elaborate on what you mean by "clean"? I'm in to month four with our tank and am keeping the tank at:
ALK - 8.3-9.0
NO3 - 5.0-7.0
PO4 - 0.1-0.05
At this point algae is minimal (touch wood). I've just introduced my first hammer and it looks really happy, so I don't want to upset things. The BTA, if it happens, won't introduced for a couple of months

OP
OP
tom.06

tom.06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes of course. I meant clean mainly in two ways.

First being parameters, which yours look great. BTAs need stable parameters, so I highly recommend having a consistent WC and feeding schedule, and just a maintained balance within your reef. But, as long as your other corals like your hammer are happy, it seems you are doing well.

Second, I meant clean as in algae/bacteria. The higher the number of potential spots for the anemone, the higher likelihood it will find a stable foothold. If there are several parts of your tank that are filled with GHA, cyano, aiptasia, etc. your nem won’t move over there because they can hurt its foot. This makes it less likely to thrive in your tank.

I hit a little on some of this, but there is an amazing discussion on this thread I highly recommend reading.

zerozero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many thanks for the detailed reply, @tom.06. And also for providing the thread link.

You've got some really unusual inhabitants in your Evo so I'll be following it's progress with interest.

OP
OP
tom.06

tom.06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many thanks for the detailed reply, @tom.06. And also for providing the thread link.

You've got some really unusual inhabitants in your Evo so I'll be following its progress with interest.
You are very welcome. I truly love clownfish and anemones, and like zoas, I believe people see them with a slight astigmatism because of the whole movement thing. But, if they are taken care of correctly, I see them as one of the most interesting and beautiful additions to your tank.

And probably also worth nothing, my first trip to the fish store I dropped close probably a little too much on testing kits, salt, sand, rocks, chemicals, and the Prime, so as a gift the worker said once I get cycled he would throw me in an invert of my choice. I’ve kept shrimp, stars, and crabs all before, so I figured it was worth a chance to try something new on the pincushion.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 54 38.6%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 19 13.6%
  • No.

Votes: 63 45.0%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back