Trouble with coral and damsel

soccerdem8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About three months ago we started a 16 gallon tank with two damsels (different species). The more aggressive of the two who we’ve named cocoa occasionally chases the other damsel out of the bottom of the tank but does not do much else. The topic of concern occurred when we got our first coral (Duncan). Cocoa will occasionally check out the new coral and bump into it. When he does this the coral closes up and because cocoa does it so frequently it hardly ever opens. Is this an issue, if so how can I fix it without removing cocoa?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the forum!
What kind of damsel is it? Some species like dominos and striped are hosted by corals just like their clownfish cousins are.
As for the aggression, that is likely to only get worse for the subdominant fish.

Northern Flicker

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Pavo damsel will occasionally annoy my coral. I think I even saw it nip a Micromussa polyp. No long term damage though, it just closes for an hour then opens back up.

Are you losing coral, or are you just worried about it annoying them? Do they open back up?

OP
OP
S

soccerdem8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the forum!
What kind of damsel is it? Some species like dominos and striped are hosted by corals just like their clownfish cousins are.
As for the aggression, that is likely to only get worse for the subdominant fish.
It is a cocoa damsel (pretty boring name I know)

OP
OP
S

soccerdem8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE: The coral was moved slightly up into the territory of the more passive damsel (Domino). Since then it has not been attacked. However, it has still not opened up despite not being touched for an hour or so. Is this of concern?

OP
OP
S

soccerdem8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Pavo damsel will occasionally annoy my coral. I think I even saw it nip a Micromussa polyp. No long term damage though, it just closes for an hour then opens back up.

Are you losing coral, or are you just worried about it annoying them? Do they open back up?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check your parameters. If the corals aren’t being really abused, they should open up fine again. You really can’t stop the fish from messing with the coral unless you can separate them, but if it’s only slightly closing I wouldn’t be too worried.

Northern Flicker

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE: The coral was moved slightly up into the territory of the more passive damsel (Domino). Since then it has not been attacked. However, it has still not opened up despite not being touched for an hour or so. Is this of concern?
1 hour is not reason for concern imo.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW OFTEN DO YOU BUY NEW CORAL?

• Weekly.

Votes: 6 8.5%
  • Monthly.

Votes: 14 19.7%
  • Every several months.

Votes: 19 26.8%
  • A few times a year.

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • Once a year.

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • I'd rather not say as I don't want to leave a digital footprint for my significant other...

Votes: 10 14.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 2 2.8%
Back