Trying to dose fluconazole, when is dosing and schedule?

sleephinx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys i'm about to trying to dose fluconazole, how much is the dosing and when is the schedule? my tank is 15gal thanks!

Last edited:

Solo McReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my tanks are full of hair algae
Pull it out, siphon it out

Get a CUC

Use a brush to get it off rocks

Personally, I view GHA as a good thing. It 15 gallons, it's not like it's a lot. If I have GHA, I don't have chrysophytes

Fluconazole is a fungicide, not an algicide. I would use Vibrant, an algicide, before Fluconazole

I would use H²O² before Fluconazole.

It's obviously a new tank, one could pull the rocks, put them in a bucket of fresh saltwater and wire brush the GHA off. Rinse in fresh saltwater and put back

Feed less, filter more

This $10 waterproof toothbrush is awesome for in tank use
1000003112.jpg

Mark E

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fluconazole Is broadly a single treatment. You take off your skimmer cup (the skimmer goes crazy) and carbon (other stuff like GFO too according to some instructions) dose and wait. Don’t expect to see any change for a week, but after that the algae will start breaking off.

The thing is the half life is a day or two (depending on physical conditions) so after a week it’s virtually all gone and you can put your skimmer cup on to remove the algae, probably turn on any carbon filtration and too.

After 14 days you can re dose.

As said it’s a fungicide it works by weakening hair algae cell walls causing it to break up

Solo McReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Solo, vibrant is a terrible product. You are spot on about manual removal. Fight.it. over load your CUC. But please, no vibrant. Many here will attest and agree to the garbage like nature of vibrant.
The active ingredient is the same stuff in Algifix

A product designed for killing algae in ponds

For chrysphytes, it's the only thing I know that works. For me, it would be a last resort, last step before I broke down a system

I would not use it for GHA. I wouldn't use fluconazole either

Just for clarification

Dburr1014

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys i'm about to trying to dose fluconazole, how much is the dosing and when is the schedule? my tank is 15gal thanks!

1) don't use fluconazole until you have exhausted every other method. Manual pulling, up the cuc, brush, ect.

2) it takes about 21 days to work.

Here is my thread. Micro dosing is better than full dose to not upset the system as much, IMO.

Thread 'Fluconazole dose and why so much?' https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/fluconazole-dose-and-why-so-much.983825/

Back