Water parameters are

Temp: 79
Nitrate: 5ppm
Nitrite: 0
Ammonia: 0
Phos: .025
Ph: 8.1
Salinity: 1.023

Now. I Aquired this “established” tank. Moved it. Reused the sand and rock. And defiantly regretted the sand

Anyway. Phos was over 3ppm and nitrates were 160. Didn’t lose a fish in this process which I’m happy about. Everything was out of whack when it got up and running again. I’m running GFO and carbon in reactor

Cheato. In stand alone fuge I made when I added the sump.

Skimmer works overtime. Good skimming. Have been changing filter socks ever 2 days. Uv filter. Got 3k gyre. 2- evo 1500 on other end for flow and it’s been tough

Can manual remove and comes right back. Battled cyano. Got it under control, heavy dark purple all over everything.

And diatoms are calmed down now but I can’t get rid of this green algae. Is it hair algae or turf? And what else could I be doing

Light schedule is

Viperspectra 12” above tank on 80 blue 5 white. 10 am to 8pm blue. 11 am to 7 white

Acclimated the lights and ramped up to this intensity with the gsp and zoas in the tank. Everything coral wise has great growth. But I’m stumped on this algae. Doesn’t go away at night on the sand and is bubbly by noon. Photosynthesis I assume

Any help is appreciated!
85DD92C5-37B8-4B38-B492-B2608CA889FA.jpeg
0E83058B-852D-45AE-B173-032FB40CC55F.jpeg
C4BA1D1E-452C-48DB-BE75-F21B347BBB30.jpeg
37EFCA4C-8488-47D5-9AC7-5C6E2566EB6D.jpeg
D56DE888-B448-485F-9184-C3E0F541EAEB.jpeg
CD83E735-0451-46E6-B565-CA4BF2E667A1.jpeg

Bored_shrimp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah looks more like hair algae to me, mainly cause I got a bunch of it over in my 55 and it looks pretty similar. I have really short green hair algae infestation in my 55, I'm getting rid of it slowly though. If it really bothers you just use some vibrant, it'll clear your tank up in about 2-3 months of dosing usually. It's a bacterial blend that eats the algae, I'm using it and it works pretty nice. I've had my hair algae for like a year though, mainly cause that was my first marine tank and I had no idea about phosphate or really much of what I was doing, so the algae took off. It'll take a bit, but vibrant will probably work after awhile. I really don't know any other way to get rid of the super tough algae though except blacking the tank out for a long extended amount of time or just restarting. I guess you can't do the blackout if you got corals though, the fish probably wouldn't enjoy it either. Well, best of luck. If you do use vibrant, just don't overdose, it might take awhile to get the algae gone with it, but it'll be faster than if you don't use it probably.

OP
OP
jaket

jaket

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah looks more like hair algae to me, mainly cause I got a bunch of it over in my 55 and it looks pretty similar. I have really short green hair algae infestation in my 55, I'm getting rid of it slowly though. If it really bothers you just use some vibrant, it'll clear your tank up in about 2-3 months of dosing usually. It's a bacterial blend that eats the algae, I'm using it and it works pretty nice. I've had my hair algae for like a year though, mainly cause that was my first marine tank and I had no idea about phosphate or really much of what I was doing, so the algae took off. It'll take a bit, but vibrant will probably work after awhile. I really don't know any other way to get rid of the super tough algae though except blacking the tank out for a long extended amount of time or just restarting. I guess you can't do the blackout if you got corals though, the fish probably wouldn't enjoy it either. Well, best of luck. If you do use vibrant, just don't overdose, it might take awhile to get the algae gone with it, but it'll be faster than if you don't use it probably.

I forgot to mention I started vibrant at the beginning of October. I’ve been dosing twice a week. I had a pretty heavy diatoms issue and it cleared up second dose. Then this took off. I’m blacked out starting today. Skimmer is going stupid with foam that overflows after about 3 hours. Im just rolling with it. It’s opened into a drain so I’d say I’m wet skimming but I’m getting more heavy foam that doesn’t settle out and just overflows. But it’s green and heavy. Socks are green in a couple hours. Just hoping that I can pull as much as I can out and keep it in my fuge. My cheato hasn’t went to mush on vibrant like some have said, but I’m keeping dosing the vibrant and see what happens I guess. I’m gonna do 3 days blackout probably. It looks better already in the tank but there’s quite a bit to go

Bored_shrimp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, hope it gets better, after one algae is gone a lot of the time another will take it's place. After you get it cleared of algae maybe introduce some cultures of coraline algae, it'll grow slow and you'll have to keep on top of maintenance of nuisance algae maybe, but if you get coraline algae to coat stuff it'll out compete the other algae probably and keep it at bay or at least help it to.

OP
OP
jaket

jaket

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful fish by the way

Thank you! Well update I guess. I just finished a 3 day blackout. And a considerable difference in the algae. I scrubbed as much as I could and the whole time left the Fuge running 24/7. Opened up this evening and algae has lost all color. And scrubbed some more. Skimmer pulled a lot out dark green.

So I’m adjusting lighting to less a day. And fixing the sunshine in the windows hitting the tank during the day. Hopefully I’ll get it under control. The fuge took off on hair algae. Sump is completely clean and display is way better. I’ll try to post a pic tomorrow. The vibrant and blackout defiantly helped. I believe it was hair algae

WHAT AREA OF REEFING IS YOUR WEAKEST? EXPLAIN YOUR ANSWER IN THE COMMENTS!

• Chemistry and Nutrient Knowledge and Management.

Votes: 24 44.4%
  • Disease and Pest Control.

Votes: 14 25.9%
  • Livestock Care.

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • Technology and Equipment Knowledge.

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 11 20.4%
Back