Two tangs and BTA coming today from Dr reef - looking for feedback

DustinDec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after about a month, the two tangs and BTA we ordered are scheduled to arrive today from dr reef. They're a Yellow tang and White tail bristletooth. I plan to have a slightly lower salinity bucket of saltwater ready to go at around 33 instead of my normal 35 (already mixed, circulating and heating). I just picked up some black plastic to wrap the tank to darken it, and I fed all the fish for the day (current fish).

Plan of action:
Fish arrive, get them floating in the display tank for ~20 minutes.
Empty water and fish from bags into empty buckets (one bucket for BTA, other for fish)
Take out the tangs, and place them in 33 bucket of water for 10 minutes while dropping the BTA into Main tank.
NOTE: Main tank will have lights off as well as no flow (lights for 6 - 7 hours, flow for 24 hours)
After 10 minutes, take tangs and bring into 35 main tank

Should I feed them after introducing them to the main tank? Should I have some sea weed on a clip ready to go? My LFS suggested that no matter what I do, the tangs will likely get ich. We have our original Fluval Flex broken down, should I start getting that going in case we need it and just throw some PVC pipe on the bottom? This is the first time we've ordered fish and I thought I was prepared, but I still feel like there is so much more I could do to prepare.

Flyangler33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have ordered almost all of my Fish from Mike (Dr.Reef) luckily its only a 35 minute drive for me to pick them up so I don't have to deal with shipping. His fish health has always been incredible and I have never had an issue with illnesses or anything from them. Having the QT tank ready to go in case of emergency is never a bad idea.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Observation for a couple weeks is usually recommended with fish as a safety precaution and you can feed them whenever you see fit.

For the BTA feeding is not necessary at all. In fact in the first couple weeks I wouldn't try at all. If stressed it can actually worsen the problem.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No flow for 24 hours?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems excessive and risky to me but I don't know how much flow/aeration you have from other sources like return pump or skimmer. I don't love shutting off flow when introducing nems because I want then to find the spot they like with my tank running as it normally does, not have it find a spot it likes then go adjusting it's environment only to have it wander as a result. I will reduce flow temporarily if necessary, but never would I shut my pumps down for 24 hrs.

UMALUM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Float - Acclimate - Drop
It's not a 2 week vacation. Your over thinking it.
I could see dimming the light and lowering the flow for a couple hours but that's a bit much.
Just remember fish are like people they don't wanna die. If the shipment goes well and your tank is ready you'll be just fine.

OP
OP
DustinDec

DustinDec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I should have said I would follow that and nothing else. No reason to turn off flow or lights for 24hrs. Also I was just feed my normal schedule. Good luck, love white tails :)
They literally just arrived after I responded to you! My wife was at the store and got back after I already got them into the sump (floating) to acclimate. Next step is to get them out into an empty bucket, and then into a lower salinity (33) bucket of water I've been mixing all morning and heating. I went ahead and turned my gyres back on, set them for consistent 25% flow and will return them to normal after a few hours. DR Reef suggests 6 hours min, no light. So I covered tank with plastic and disabled all lights.

They're absolutely beautiful (the tangs, the BTA looks a little odd lol). I'll post pictures when I have a chance. So excited right now!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
So after about a month, the two tangs and BTA we ordered are scheduled to arrive today from dr reef. They're a Yellow tang and White tail bristletooth. I plan to have a slightly lower salinity bucket of saltwater ready to go at around 33 instead of my normal 35 (already mixed, circulating and heating). I just picked up some black plastic to wrap the tank to darken it, and I fed all the fish for the day (current fish).

Plan of action:
Fish arrive, get them floating in the display tank for ~20 minutes.
Empty water and fish from bags into empty buckets (one bucket for BTA, other for fish)
Take out the tangs, and place them in 33 bucket of water for 10 minutes while dropping the BTA into Main tank.
NOTE: Main tank will have lights off as well as no flow (lights for 6 - 7 hours, flow for 24 hours)
After 10 minutes, take tangs and bring into 35 main tank

Should I feed them after introducing them to the main tank? Should I have some sea weed on a clip ready to go? My LFS suggested that no matter what I do, the tangs will likely get ich. We have our original Fluval Flex broken down, should I start getting that going in case we need it and just throw some PVC pipe on the bottom? This is the first time we've ordered fish and I thought I was prepared, but I still feel like there is so much more I could do to prepare.
Acclimation is important first step. Equalize salinity in buckets with that of the intended tank. Lights off is something I typically do to reduce aggression

slythy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I always make a gallon of fresh 1.022 sg (what he ships most his fish in) in a bucket with a heater and an airstone. I float the fish in my sump for about 30 mins to heat up, pour the fish into a net discarding all of the shipping water and plop them into the bucket and then start a fast drip acclimation.

a lot of my fish are from Dr Reef and I have only had 1 hickup of a flame angel dying. they replaced it no questions. They must not be great shippers right now because my LFS said they had a rough couple batches recently.

I have no hesitations about buying from Dr Reef.

OP
OP
DustinDec

DustinDec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acclimation is important first step. Equalize salinity in buckets with that of the intended tank. Lights off is something I typically do to reduce aggression
On his site, it says to start with 33 before going any higher. I let them get used to that for 10 minutes before transferring to the main tank which I keep at 35. The yellow tang was swimming around no problem. The whitetail was laying down on the bottom, almost looked sleepy. But when I moved the bucket to bring them over to put into the MT, they were both wide awake and moving. For now, I've covered the rest of the tank, will check up again in 6 hours.

helmsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not shut down flow, they need flow to keep o2 levels high and get fresh o2 into their gills. Float them for temp and drop them in

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Float - Acclimate - Drop
It's not a 2 week vacation. Your over thinking it.
I could see dimming the light and lowering the flow for a couple hours but that's a bit much.
Just remember fish are like people they don't wanna die. If the shipment goes well and your tank is ready you'll be just fine.
I typically skip the first 2 steps

OP
OP
DustinDec

DustinDec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to be clear, I have no doubt in Mike (Dr Reef), just my self. I greatly appreciate everyone's feedback, I just really want to succeed here.

OP
OP
DustinDec

DustinDec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bad news, the Green Bubble Tip Anemone seemed to have found a solid spot towards the lower part of my tank touching the sand, between two rocks. I left the gyres on at 25%, and this morning I came to a cloudy tank and completely dead BTA. Pretty upset, already cleaned it up and preparing for a 20% water change. Thankfully I already have blue chemi pure running, ordering a couple more just to be safe (chemipure). The new tangs appear to be doing well and look amazing. I think I'll hold off on any further anemone for quite sometime. Shame, it looked really beautiful.

DOES TANK SIZE MATTER WHEN TRYING TO MAINTAIN A STABLE ENVIRONMENT FOR YOUR REEF?

• Yes, the environment in smaller tanks is harder to maintain.

Votes: 17 56.7%
  • Yes, the environment in larger tank is harder to maintain.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Reef environments are hard to maintain no matter the size of the tank.

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • You have problems maintaining your reef's environment? Noob.

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Other (Please explain!)

Votes: 3 10.0%
Back