unfortunate post

shcrimps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
to start i live in an area that rarely ever gets power outages so i didn’t think id need a battery backup of sorts
however a car crashed this morning around 3am in my neighborhood and took out the power to around 500 places including mine and it’s currently 11:27 as i’m writing this
as of now i’ve got no way to tell what’s gone but a couple corals look very unwell
could be lack of oxygen which i’ve been trying to supplement by hand but more than likely loss of heat

with all that being said, what battery backups do you guys have and what measures do you take to prevent this

b1llvance

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
to start i live in an area that rarely ever gets power outages so i didn’t think id need a battery backup of sorts
however a car crashed this morning around 3am in my neighborhood and took out the power to around 500 places including mine and it’s currently 11:27 as i’m writing this
as of now i’ve got no way to tell what’s gone but a couple corals look very unwell
could be lack of oxygen which i’ve been trying to supplement by hand but more than likely loss of heat

with all that being said, what battery backups do you guys have and what measures do you take to prevent this
Go to Dick's sporting goods or anywhere that sells fishing supplies. They have battery operated aerators that are like 9 bucks. Buy a few. Cheap, easy, effective.

Last edited by a moderator:

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lack of oxygen is almost always a bigger problem than heat loss. For short term, stir the tank with a plastic spoon and follow advice above.

I use backup batteries on my mp40’s for longer term. There are tons of threads out there to read for other options.

Good luck.

OP
OP
shcrimps

shcrimps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lack of oxygen is almost always a bigger problem than heat loss. For short term, stir the tank with a plastic spoon and follow advice above.

I use backup batteries on my mp40’s for longer term. There are tons of threads out there to read for other options.

Good luck.
i’ve been using the magent cleaners to zoom back and forth to move the water and air bubbles
so far i have lost a small KD rainbow hammer :, (
small purple hammer and i think an urchin

crazyfishmom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
In an ideal situation, pouring tank water from a cup over and over into the tank will do a better of breaking the surface tension of the water and adding oxygen back into the tank. Ideally from at least 10 inches above the tank to fully disrupt. Good luck, this is sucky.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would stir vigorously with a large plastic spoon. You can even remove water with a pitcher and pour it back in.

OP
OP
shcrimps

shcrimps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, are you sure they’re not just super retracted? It seems rather fast for the hammers to die.
they were very very small ones roughly the size of a dime when fully open
i have one hammer that’s completely open and looks fine but it’s a decent size
my torch is super deflated but still not retracted 100%
i think it was mostly just the size of the hammer/ the skeleton that just couldn’t take it

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought one of these to run my return pump during power outings. For $450, it's a steal for the peace of mind. I also have several battery-operated air pumps that I throw it too.
Amazon product

Tamberav

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Are you in the states? Walmart usually has bait bubblers that take batteries (buy plenty of batteries!). You could go get that now. Can even check online to see if it is in stock. They are maybe 5-10 dollars?

About 24 hours on the smaller one and 48 hours on the bigger one (takes bigger batteries)

IMG_4946.png

Last edited:

VintageReefer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I bought one of these to run my return pump during power outings. For $450, it's a steal for the peace of mind. I also have several battery-operated air pumps that I throw it too.
Amazon product

I agree this is the way. Is the one above a UPS?

This is the one I use and recommend, it’s the same rating for $420 and does have a UPS function and will auto switch from ac to battery power in event of an outage

twentyleagues

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree this is the way. Is the one above a UPS?

This is the one I use and recommend, it’s the same rating for $420 and does have a UPS function and will auto switch from ac to battery power in event of an outage

So do you have that hooked up to your return pump/power head all the time or just break it out when there is a power failure?

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My return pump is plugged into the Anker. The Anker is plugged into the wall. During normal usage, power is passed through the Anker and does not affect its storage of power. If power goes out, the Anker senses this and the pump then draws stored power from the Anker.

VintageReefer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So do you have that hooked up to your return pump/power head all the time or just break it out when there is a power failure?
All the time. Return pump plugs into this. And this plugs in the wall

If my power goes out, in 1/100 seconds it cuts over to lithium battery power and keeps my return running which fixed my tank circulation, oxygenation, and allowed my sump to stay online - increasing water volume and allowing some filtration from my macro algae and live rock in the sump

VintageReefer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
All the time. Return pump plugs into this. And this plugs in the wall

If my power goes out, in 1/100 seconds it cuts over to lithium battery power and keeps my return running which fixed my tank circulation, oxygenation, and allowed my sump to stay online - increasing water volume and allowing some filtration from my macro algae and live rock in the sump

I normally run my return pump at 40%
This gives me 36 hours of runtime

473F1FE1-E399-4F98-803E-30168E032567.jpeg

If I feel the outage will be prolonged, I can dial my return pump down to 30% and get 48 hours run time
49E92F8D-7882-4366-A66D-F735A683B164.jpeg

Will also mention I am using cellpowa 600 which is 300$
the cellpowa 1000 i linked is $420 but has double the capacity / runtime

OP
OP
shcrimps

shcrimps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size is your tank and what is your return pump
my main tank is 65g with oase bio master thermo 350 (i’ve had great success with a canister don’t worry) and my secondary is a IM nuvo 20 drop off with the stock pump
main display is the biggest concern i have no issue getting a bubbler for the little one but i can try to get total power output for all filtration in the main to match that up to an appropriate backup

OP
OP
shcrimps

shcrimps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
power is back up finally
thank you everyone for your input
all fish are accounted for and i’ll be assessing damage in hours to come to see if anything will pull through or head out
appreciate all the help

VintageReefer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
my main tank is 65g with oase bio master thermo 350 (i’ve had great success with a canister don’t worry) and my secondary is a IM nuvo 20 drop off with the stock pump
main display is the biggest concern i have no issue getting a bubbler for the little one but i can try to get total power output for all filtration in the main to match that up to an appropriate backup

Does that canister have separate power cords for filtration and heating ?

OP
OP
shcrimps

shcrimps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does that canister have separate power cords for filtration and heating ?
yes, two separate power cord for both and a easy cleanable pre filter were the selling points for me so i could easily plug the pump cord into a backup and if absolutely necessary do the same for the heater but most of the year it wouldn’t be necessary
just had the windows open and that caused the tank to cool pretty quickly

WHEN IT COMES TO REEFING EQUIPMENT, DO YOU BUY NEW OR USED? AND WHY?

• I usually buy new equipment.

Votes: 52 55.3%
  • I usually buy used equipment.

Votes: 6 6.4%
  • I depends on what the equipment is.

Votes: 36 38.3%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back