Unknown parasite

Shoki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! It has been awhile since i’ve had a problem with my tank. My tank has had marine ich for awhile, i am 100% certain it is ich. It initially appeared on my clownfish and i had treated only the clownfish for 3 weeks with Ich-X which literally does nothing. Both the method i used and the treatment did nothing but since then I’ve not really had any issues, I haven’t had the time to let the tank fallow so i haven’t eradicated it. I use a UV sterilizer submersible in my tank it helps keep the parasites down. I left for a week and came back. My tank was very low on water since i haven’t set up my ATO. I think the sudden drop in salinity causes a stressful event in my tank and they also haven’t been getting fed as often. My Yellow Coris wrasse has a huge dot on his fin and it doesn’t look like ich. I remember reading about another external parasite that attaches to the fins but i don’t remember what it’s called. Can anyone help me identify? I’m planning to treat them all with copper before i move to college but I only have 3 weeks and Ionic copper. Please help!

E9A8D868-2E26-43EB-AD5F-21F908845472.jpeg 88BCD3A4-676E-4F2E-808E-F9019AAC30B4.jpeg EF7E33E4-A777-42F3-9FF7-4516E71FD80F.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Hello everyone! It has been awhile since i’ve had a problem with my tank. My tank has had marine ich for awhile, i am 100% certain it is ich. It initially appeared on my clownfish and i had treated only the clownfish for 3 weeks with Ich-X which literally does nothing. Both the method i used and the treatment did nothing but since then I’ve not really had any issues, I haven’t had the time to let the tank fallow so i haven’t eradicated it. I use a UV sterilizer submersible in my tank it helps keep the parasites down. I left for a week and came back. My tank was very low on water since i haven’t set up my ATO. I think the sudden drop in salinity causes a stressful event in my tank and they also haven’t been getting fed as often. My Yellow Coris wrasse has a huge dot on his fin and it doesn’t look like ich. I remember reading about another external parasite that attaches to the fins but i don’t remember what it’s called. Can anyone help me identify? I’m planning to treat them all with copper before i move to college but I only have 3 weeks and Ionic copper. Please help!

E9A8D868-2E26-43EB-AD5F-21F908845472.jpeg 88BCD3A4-676E-4F2E-808E-F9019AAC30B4.jpeg EF7E33E4-A777-42F3-9FF7-4516E71FD80F.jpeg
Its too big to be common parasite and appears to be a fin ray issue which should resolve on its own

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Apologies - I am not sure I understand your exact question? However - looking at the pictures - I would say - it could be lymphocystis - which is viral - and should be self-limited. If as someone else has said - its 'fin rot' - it seems like it may be a good idea to set up a hospital tank - incase it worsens - as well - have some antibiotics on hand. If lymphocystis - it should resolve on its own. Hope this helps

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back