Unknown Shelled Creature

ReefToad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,
As I was cleaning the glass on my tank, I notice a red shell growing on one of the rocks in my tank. When I looked closer, I swear I noticed two little black eyes peering back at me, and two whispy antennae. Then it slowly retracted into the shell without breaking eye contact. When I came back with my phone to take a photo, it looks as though it's snatched some of the algae and is dragging it into the shell. Anyone have any idea what this creature might be?

20240726_202010~3.jpg

ISpeakForTheSeas

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The shell itself does not move and has been in this spot for months. Most likely since it's been in my tank so around 5 or 6 months.
Yeah, I would guess that's a vermetid snail species then. Do you ever see it spitting out a mucus string/net to catch things with? If so, that would confirm it.

OP
OP
ReefToad

ReefToad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I would guess that's a vermetid snail species then. Do you ever see it spitting out a mucus string/net to catch things with? If so, that would confirm it.
Yeah at night there was always a long strand coming from it. I looked into them and found they're more often a hazard than just a peaceful stowaway so I took the rock out and did away with the snail. I will be keeping a close eye on ensure it didn't have any friends.

ISpeakForTheSeas

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah at night there was always a long strand coming from it. I looked into them and found they're more often a hazard than just a peaceful stowaway so I took the rock out and did away with the snail. I will be keeping a close eye on ensure it didn't have any friends.
Yeah, the large species are typically more on the harmless side than the small ones, but most people remove them regardless to be safe.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back