Urchin dying (lack of oxygen/temperature change)

Maebh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used some aquafix cement yesterday and now my urchin is on the way out. I don't know if it was the cement or if he got cold shock from me moving him from one tub back to the tank. Really upset, but he's still moving his lower spines. I'll post my parameters as I check them. So far, Ph-8.2, Nitrite-0.05~.

IMG-20240709-WA0000.jpeg

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep I don’t think they like sudden changes.
I don’t know if they can suffer from trapped air not sure?. They definitely don’t like sudden temperature changes. Your just going to have to see how it goes

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need more info....

Your title says its dying from temperature, so whats the temp?

Your title suggest its dying from low oxygen, did you do anything to correct low oxygen? Agitate the water surface, add an airstone, a skimmer?

What are the parameters? Nitrite is meaningless, we need nitrate, phosphate, alk, and calcium at least.

How old is the tank? Is there any algae for it to eat? A tank pic will help a lot.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I used some aquafix cement yesterday and now my urchin is on the way out. I don't know if it was the cement or if he got cold shock from me moving him from one tub back to the tank. Really upset, but he's still moving his lower spines. I'll post my parameters as I check them. So far, Ph-8.2, Nitrite-0.05~.

IMG-20240709-WA0000.jpeg
They react quickly to changes in water quality
Mix a batch of freshwater and aerate with air stone and place in this fresh mix for now and add carbon to tank to reduce any toxins if present . Assure it’s not starving which will also take them down

OP
OP
Maebh

Maebh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your title says its dying from temperature, so whats the temp?

Your title suggest its dying from low oxygen, did you do anything to correct low oxygen? Agitate the water surface, add an airstone, a skimmer?

What are the parameters? Nitrite is meaningless, we need nitrate, phosphate, alk, and calcium at least.

How old is the tank? Is there any algae for it to eat? A tank pic will help a lot.
I think the sudden change of temperature from the tub it was in, near room temp, to the tank, 24C, may have shocked it.
I'm only suggesting low oxygen because that's a common complaint when using aquafix. I have a waterfall hob filter so the was already a lot of agitation.
Of course, this happens on the one day I have plans, so I haven't been able to get any other parameters.
The tank is a year old. There is algae on all walls except the front, multiple types of decorative algae and he gets algae wafers handed to him.

Attachments

• feed455e-c6e8-4ca6-99f2-df79c12178a3-1_all_173240.jpg
    feed455e-c6e8-4ca6-99f2-df79c12178a3-1_all_173240.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 22
OP
OP
Maebh

Maebh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ph-8.2, nitrites-0.05-0.1, nitrates-0, kh-3.70, mag-1470, phos-0.2, calcium-460. Ammonia was crazy, first 0.4 then 1. I used an ammonia detoxifier and no creature has died/seemed affected. In fact my urchin is still around three days later! I didnt do anything except add ammonia detoxifier and gave him some nori. Ill keep an eye on him, but hopefully it all goes well. He definitely lost quite a few spines though.

Back