Wanting to set up kalk drip

reef’r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently battling Dino’s so water changes have come to a stop. I am seeing a small drop in alk and calc (mostly calc) so I’m considering setting up a DIY Kalk drip to supplement the tank while not doing water changes. I think my coral load is still low enough to maintain when I can resume water changes again but who knows when that might be. Does this sound reasonable? Obviously the PH boost over night will be appreciated as well, thinking trying to valve it down to just drip once every 2-3 seconds, as alk is 8.7 and calc is around 410. Feedback is greatly appreciated

JustTechWriter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Currently battling Dino’s so water changes have come to a stop. I am seeing a small drop in alk and calc (mostly calc) so I’m considering setting up a DIY Kalk drip to supplement the tank while not doing water changes. I think my coral load is still low enough to maintain when I can resume water changes again but who knows when that might be. Does this sound reasonable? Obviously the PH boost over night will be appreciated as well, thinking trying to valve it down to just drip once every 2-3 seconds, as alk is 8.7 and calc is around 410. Feedback is greatly appreciated
Newb question, how does not doing water changes help with Dinos? They are also kicking my butt but I have been turkey basting them into the water column to get picked up by filter cups for weeks now.

OP
OP
R

reef’r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Newb question, how does not doing water changes help with Dinos? They are also kicking my butt but I have been turkey basting them into the water column to get picked up by filter cups for weeks now.
Most, but not all, Dino outbreaks happen when nutrients bottom out which is my case. So by not doing water changes my nutrients creep up, which in theory will allow other bacteria and organisms to increase and outcompete Dino’s. Not doing much for me at the moment

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sounds reasonable to me. The alk certainly doesn't imply a strong need at the moment, however. I don't know how rapidly it is dropping. :)

exnisstech

Grumpy old man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I dripped kalk I did so with a brs 1ml minute doser on a digital timer. I'm sure your method will work but I was using kalk as my only supplement on a larger tank with a lot of coral so I needed to be able to calculate the dosage and make adjustments as demand increased.

OP
OP
R

reef’r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds reasonable to me. The alk certainly doesn't imply a strong need at the moment, however. I don't know how rapidly it is dropping. :)
Consumption of both is very slow, hoping that a minimal dose of Kalk will sort of maintain it where it is, even with where my level currently sit (8.7 alk and 410 calc) raising them slightly would do no harm

Back