What are the easiest butterfly's to keep?

reesed5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to get some butterfly's. I was wondering which ones were typically reef safe, easy to keep, and compatible with each other. Also, what ones are small?

Lynn52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how many are reef safe. I have a saddle back that has been a breeze to keep but I wouldn't trust it in my tank with SPS. Something ate all my zenia, he is my prime suspect. Some would consider that good thing.

Last edited:

Among The Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Roaps subgenus within the Chaetodon genus is extremely desirable for a lot of hobbyists for a few reasons. It helps that they are gorgeous, but they are also fairly reef safe depending on the corals that they are housed with. A lot of hobbyists are successful keeping them in SPS dominated tanks with clams. In my experience, they are very hardy and tend to stay on the smaller side as well. Some can be pretty pricey like C. Tinkeri, but on the more affordable end of the spectrum you will have C. burgess.

Other butterflyfish that are often found in reef tanks are pyramid butterflies from the genus Hemitaurichthys. They do well in groups and add a nice splash of color. Pyramids are probably the most "reef safe" butterflyfish since they are considered to eat mostly plankton. You may also want to look at Longnose Butterflyfish (Forcipiger genus) as well as members from the Chelmon and Prognathodes genera.

Hope that helps! If you'd like me to go into more details about specific members of those genera or groups I'd be happy to!

-Jordan

OP
OP
R

reesed5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Roaps subgenus within the Chaetodon genus is extremely desirable for a lot of hobbyists for a few reasons. It helps that they are gorgeous, but they are also fairly reef safe depending on the corals that they are housed with. A lot of hobbyists are successful keeping them in SPS dominated tanks with clams. In my experience, they are very hardy and tend to stay on the smaller side as well. Some can be pretty pricey like C. Tinkeri, but on the more affordable end of the spectrum you will have C. burgess.

Other butterflyfish that are often found in reef tanks are pyramid butterflies from the genus Hemitaurichthys. They do well in groups and add a nice splash of color. Pyramids are probably the most "reef safe" butterflyfish since they are considered to eat mostly plankton. You may also want to look at Longnose Butterflyfish (Forcipiger genus) as well as members from the Chelmon and Prognathodes genera.

Hope that helps! If you'd like me to go into more details about specific members of those genera or groups I'd be happy to!

-Jordan
That was very helpful, thank you for taking the time to write that response. I really appreciate it!

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pyramid and he has never bothered any corals. I have acros, birdsnest, montis, duncans, euphyllia, alveopora, favia, lobophylia and zoas without any predation. He's been in my tank about 15 months as has proved to be very hardy. Very vigorous eater but hasn't been aggressive with any fish.

OP
OP
R

reesed5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

-Jordan
If you could take the time to give me specific names of the easy butterfly's, that would be fantastic. I'm not looking for reef safe, just small and hardy. It is ok if you can't respond, thanks for all of your help!

Among The Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was very helpful, thank you for taking the time to write that response. I really appreciate it!

If you could take the time to give me specific names of the easy butterfly's, that would be fantastic. I'm not looking for reef safe, just small and hardy. It is ok if you can't respond, thanks for all of your help!

Not a problem at all. It just depends on a price range that you're looking at...

For Roaps, Burgess will be your least expensive (still not a cheap fish). I personally love Declivis, Mitratus, and Tinkeri but they are all a little more expensive. They're probably one of the most hardy butterflies and stay on the smaller side.

I'm also a fan of the Atlantic Longnose Butterflyfish- Prognathodes aculeatus and the Yellow Longnose (Forcipiger longirostris)

Chelmon rostratus aka the Copperband Butterflyfish is a common choice, but not the easiest fish. The others above will be more hardy.

Also check out the Yellow Pyramid Butterflyfish (Hemitaurichthys polylepis) and the Zoster Butterflyfish (Hemitaurichthys zoster)- they will be hardy as well.

You could also look into C. Kleini and Bannerfish/ Heniochus

If being reef safe isn't huge on your priority list, Check out Auriga and Raccoon Butterflies.

I'm sure I'm forgetting many, but that's just a quick list. There are lots of options when it comes to Butterflyfish. What size is your tank?

-Jordan

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Raccoon are easy but definitely not reef safe as mentioned

Shane808262

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in Hawaii and manage to Catch a baby raccoon loved the little guy until he out grew my tank he also ate Zoas. The Klein’s is the easiest in my opinion they are cute and great eaters but may eat coral. The lemon butterfly is also really easy but like the Klein’s they both do slightly lack color but make up for it in personality and cuteness. They also stay smaller plus in Hawaii lemon butterfly’s are only $12.99 and I paid $10 for my last Klein’s. Thinker butterfly’s here are also only $60. Snails are expensive here though $7 for 1 turbo and $6 for 1 astraea snail. Hope I helped.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to get some butterfly's. I was wondering which ones were typically reef safe, easy to keep, and compatible with each other. Also, what ones are small?

There is only one butterfly that is really reef safe and that is the Pyramid Butterflyfish. They need a 6 foot long tank. The next would be the long nose Yellow but it is more of a risk for coral and once again needs a 6 foot long tank. Any others are a gamble or ridiculously expensive.

JMM744

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Klein’s will eat coral. I have a pyramid and Schooling Bannerfish in my mixed reef. The Bannerfish is still small but so far no problem eating coral. Downside, both will out grow my 120 and will need to be sent to the Fowler 180 in a year or so.

Klein’s are easy, so are teardrops and saddlebacks. I think some of them are easier then people think if you can keep them from getting infections. Good food probably helps too.
Notice I didn’t mention the more expensive guys. Too cheap to try them.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Easy and transporting well might be different with some species.
We kept native Atlantic butterflies when i was a child. Honestly we would seine, drive home drop in the tank(this was like ‘95) diseases were not talked about like today. But some of the species like four-eyed do not have the greatest survival rates in captivity usually, and probably more to do do with how easily damaged they are transported from collection onward.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

IF YOU HAD $100 TO SPEND ON REEFING STUFF RIGHT NOW, WHAT WOULD YOU BUY? GIVEAWAY IN THE COMMENTS!

• Fish!

Votes: 25 16.9%
  • Coral!

Votes: 42 28.4%
  • Sand!

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • Rock!

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Salt!

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • Fish Food!

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • Lights!

Votes: 12 8.1%
  • Automation Equipment!

Votes: 27 18.2%
  • Test kits and nutrient management items!

Votes: 17 11.5%
  • General reefing equipment like pumps, sumps, wave makers, etc!

Votes: 14 9.5%
  • I would put it in savings so I can buy a bigger purchase down the road, like a tank!

Votes: 18 12.2%
  • Other (please explain)!

Votes: 16 10.8%
Back