What camera do you use for watching your tank?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What camera do you use for watching/monitoring your tank? Which one has good resolution and color correction for viewing an aquarium online?

We're looking at getting some Blink cameras for security purposes, and I'm thinking about grabbing one just to watch the tank, but then I wonder if that's a good idea or should I get something else for the tank specifically?

tobster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What camera do you use for watching/monitoring your tank? Which one has good resolution and color correction for viewing an aquarium online?

We're looking at getting some Blink cameras for security purposes, and I'm thinking about grabbing one just to watch the tank, but then I wonder if that's a good idea or should I get something else for the tank specifically?
I use Arlo ones and they do well enough to see that the tank is running and fish are swimming. Definitely can’t zoom and get quality video though.

MelancholyBlenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked into blink but after reading all the bad reviews about how they only record on motion and require a subscription for them to be at all a decent option I just went with a amcrest option:

Amazon product

Connects really fast via the app and no subscription needed, also takes a mini sd that it can record to and will overwrite once full. Depending on the sd size that means a week or 2 of recording before it starts to re-record over itself. It also has pan/tilt so I can watch the tank or the dog. Picture quality when aimed at the tank could be a little better but I wasn't looking for something amazing in that area due to all the light the tank puts off. It will get better than the screen shot but the camera is pretty close to the tank at the moment and the reflection isn't helping. Screenshot in the app for reference:

Screenshot_20240717_154703_Amcrest Smart Home.jpg

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a few including Blink and for me Lorex has been the best resolution. mine is on my Mantle at the end of the tank. i use it to peek at the tank once in a while during the day and occasionally scare any family if they are home since it has a mic and a speaker LOL. I velcro'd an Orphek blue light lens filter over the optics.
1721256969428.png

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I use Tapo HD cameras - keep in mind though that they connect to your WiFi and pipe data back to China.

aquaman67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blink cameras are on sale today (Prime Day)

They do not require a subscription if you don’t want record motion.

Meaning you can “log in” and watch your tank live any time you want.

You don’t want to record motion anyway because it would constantly alarm.

So for $20ish dollars you can watch your tank live from anywhere in the world.

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Wyze cameras that pan. They work well but color is very blue, like with most cameras. I tape an orange lens from a pair of cheap eyeglasses that are given out at shows for viewing corals and that helps a lot.
I'd like to hear from others if their cameras give good color. The Amcrest that @MelancholyBlenny showed, above, looks pretty good.

WhatCouldGoWrong71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
The Tapo ones I purchased require a monthly subscription to use, I’m not looking for a subscription plan. What non subscription plan options are out there?

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Wyze cameras that pan. They work well but color is very blue, like with most cameras. I tape an orange lens from a pair of cheap eyeglasses that are given out at shows for viewing corals and that helps a lot.
I'd like to hear from others if their cameras give good color. The Amcrest that @MelancholyBlenny showed, above, looks pretty good.
screen shot from my Lorex at the end of my tank a while back
1721306355320.png

Last edited:

blecki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used some no-name brand ones in the past and after dealing with them I ended up just using amazon ring cameras. We have the doorbell thing anyway so it was a no-brainer and they tend to 'just work' in a way that no-name brands do not.

CO2TLEY

Saltaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a blink camera but i don’t like how it restricts your view time unless you get a subscription. Other wise good camera

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I picked up one from Tapo and one from Blink to try out. The beauty of Amazon is that I can purchase a couple of options and see which one is best and return the other one.

CO2TLEY

Saltaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do all of these without subscription let you monitor remotely via an app (internet accessible)?
Blink does for sure with a 5 minute view time and then you have to hit the play button again to continue viewing. I use to have a Wyze camera that was also remotely accessed

Back