What has been your most high maintenance fish or coral?

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes we get a fish or coral and think it’ll be easy to care for, and next thing you know it becomes high maintenance. Maybe it’s because it had some sort of disease, or it’s picky about the food it eats. I am wondering what has been your high maintenance fish or coral.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first brought home my lionfish about four years ago, it would only eat live food. I had to get freshwater minnows from a bait shop to feed it, and they had their own temporary tank. Gradually I was able to wean it to frozen food which it has been eating ever since.

PharmrJohn

The Dude Abides
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Sea Apple I kept in my old 90. Had to target feed and monitor daily for signs of stress. They can nuke a tank. If I ever get another, I'll name it David (of David Banner, You Won't Like Me if I Get Angry Incredible Hulk fame)!

Trial&Eror

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Sea Apple I kept in my old 90. Had to target feed and monitor daily for signs of stress. They can nuke a tank. If I ever get another, I'll name it David (of David Banner, You Won't Like Me if I Get Angry Incredible Hulk fame)!
Bruce Banner… David Banner is a rapper lol

OP
OP
Gumbies R Us

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had no clue you could even have these in a reef tank!

mihali

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tbh there’s nothing I’ve had that’s picky or high maintenance in my sw tanks I know this is a reef tank website but the only thing that’s been picky is my freshwater barracuda it would only eat live guppies or sm like that and I even tried feeding it live shrimp but anything that went to the bottom of the tank he wouldn’t eat because he stayed at the top mostly

OP
OP
Gumbies R Us

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tbh there’s nothing I’ve had that’s picky or high maintenance in my sw tanks I know this is a reef tank website but the only thing that’s been picky is my freshwater barracuda it would only eat live guppies or sm like that and I even tried feeding it live shrimp but anything that went to the bottom of the tank he wouldn’t eat because he stayed at the top mostly
How long have you had the freshwater barracuda?

mihali

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something sad about them is that I knew they got about a 12–16 long, but when I was doing my research about them before I got it, I didn’t see any that were bigger than about 6 or 7 inches and then I discovered when the babies they only eat live and then as they get a bit older, they’ll start eating frozen food and stuff and then when they get to adults there natural instincts stop kicking in and decide that they didn’t want normal food anymore or frozen food and just decide to only eat live food

TOP 10 Trending Threads

DO YOU USE A PAR METER WHEN PLACING NEW CORAL IN YOUR TANK?

• Yes! I think it's important for the longterm health/growth of my coral.

Votes: 6 7.7%
  • Yes, but I don't find that it is necessary all the time.

Votes: 17 21.8%
  • Not currently, but I would like to.

Votes: 33 42.3%
  • No. I don't measure PAR and my corals are still healthy/growing.

Votes: 18 23.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 4 5.1%
Back