What in the world is this

bossman818

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just saw this on my clam. Was not there up until today that I cleaned the tank. Please identify. Should I pull it out? Has these tubes that seem to open up.

IMG_4533.jpeg IMG_4532.jpeg IMG_4529.jpeg IMG_4530.jpeg IMG_4528.jpeg IMG_4534.jpeg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just saw this on my clam. Was not there up until today that I cleaned the tank. Please identify. Should I pull it out? Has these tubes that seem to open up.

IMG_4533.jpeg IMG_4532.jpeg IMG_4529.jpeg IMG_4530.jpeg IMG_4528.jpeg IMG_4534.jpeg
Looks like a sponge but if it moves it’s a polyclad flatworm.

Also, how long have you had that clam? It’s not looking too good as it hasn’t got any new recent growth rings which signifies it’s unhappy if not unhealthy.

OP
OP
B

bossman818

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a sponge but if it moves it’s a polyclad flatworm.

Also, how long have you had that clam? It’s not looking too good as it hasn’t got any new recent growth rings which signifies it’s unhappy if not unhealthy.
Are sponges and flatworms bad for reef? Clam is less than a month old. Lights were out and I wanted to see all nocturnal critters so I shined my flashlight and saw that there. Was not there guaranteed because I have been actively keeping an eye out on the clam since it’s new to tank. It has like two tubes one on top and one on side.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are sponges and flatworms bad for reef? Clam is less than a month old. Lights were out and I wanted to see all nocturnal critters so I shined my flashlight and saw that there. Was not there guaranteed because I have been actively keeping an eye out on the clam since it’s new to tank. It has like two tubes one on top and one on side.
Sponges are good however flatworms can be quite bad for reefs as they can attack inverts like clams and coral.

That growth band hasn’t been present for at least a few weeks now. You should have a fresh white band at the top of your clam, especially where the mantle extends out to.
Here you can see the white growth band - albeit it’s not obvious as the shell didn’t have life growing on the older growth.
IMG_0604.jpeg

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like a vermetid snail to me, sponge, or tube feather worm also are possibilities. If feather come out at the end, then it a feather worm, mucus strands then it is a vermetic and if nothing come out then it is a sponge. A clearer in focus picture will tell us more.

OP
OP
B

bossman818

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sponges are good however flatworms can be quite bad for reefs as they can attack inverts like clams and coral.

That growth band hasn’t been present for at least a few weeks now. You should have a fresh white band at the top of your clam, especially where the mantle extends out to.
Here you can see the white growth band - albeit it’s not obvious as the shell didn’t have life growing on the older growth.
IMG_0604.jpeg
Now I’m even more worried. I love that clam. It fully extends and sensitive to light changes. Any other signs that can mean it’s not happy? Last week it was contracting and kicking sand up. Looked like it was trying to move. I was amazed. I’m worried that sponge or whatever it is might take over and now allow it to grow. It’s just so weird it was not there then after I clean tank it decides to go on my clam.

ISpeakForTheSeas

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That's a solitary tunicate - a perfectly harmless filter feeder; nothing to worry about, and it won't hurt your clam at all.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW OFTEN DO YOU BUY NEW CORAL?

• Weekly.

Votes: 6 8.7%
  • Monthly.

Votes: 14 20.3%
  • Every several months.

Votes: 18 26.1%
  • A few times a year.

Votes: 17 24.6%
  • Once a year.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I'd rather not say as I don't want to leave a digital footprint for my significant other...

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back