What is this

RezReef82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has been like this for better part of 2 days now!
It looks like dust in the water, I want to say I don’t think it is but tbh I don’t know. Anyone know why my water might look like this. Parameter wise Everything is right in range where the numbers usually are.
I don’t have a color filter so don’t mind the photo
Thanks zach

Attachments

• IMG_6845.mov
    36.9 MB

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That video will only run on Apple devices
Really? cause I just opened it on my android using Google Photos app...

Edit: To OP do you have any sand sifting critters? A pistol shrimp? Also. How fine is your sand? It could be a bacterial bloom of it isn't sand getting kicked up somehow.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
My tank has been like this for better part of 2 days now!
It looks like dust in the water, I want to say I don’t think it is but tbh I don’t know. Anyone know why my water might look like this. Parameter wise Everything is right in range where the numbers usually are.
I don’t have a color filter so don’t mind the photo
Thanks zach
Able to open on mt microsoft device. Video lighting is too dark with blue lighting to see anything. Please repost under white light intensity

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they microbubbles? Is there stuff being sucked up from the sump? Was sand just added? If its a bacterial bloom, get a cheap uv sterilizer unit and make sure the water is aerated greatly. The UV will clear it fast and can then be taken offline. However, it looks like visible clouds so I am leaning away from a bacterial bloom.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
The smoky look appears to be a fine mist of bubbles but may be a bacterial bloom. If bloom, just alone, the addition of NoPox can trigger this. In addition, when bacterial colonies increase in number suddenly, they become suspended in the water and quickly grow quickly becoming more visible making the water look milky and hazy in appearance due to increase in nutrients in the water with nitrates and phosphates, so check those two. Can also be poor filtration, low water movement, overfeeding and even your water source especially if RODI filters are nearing end of useful life.
Often If the bacteria does not get enough oxygen, this issue begins and progresses.

OP
OP
R

RezReef82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feed back everyone. It’s definitely appreciated. I think I have the reason figured out (I don’t know 100 percent but I’m pretty sure!) but talking to the person who comes to check on it while I’m away was “slightly” over feeding. An in the coming next couple of days (If it matters ‍) I’ll update with the progress.
Happy Reefing my reef2reef fam
Again I have to say
Thank yous for all the input
Zach

Back