What to do with 1st chamber in 13.5 evo?

Preston's_Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 13.5 evo and it has been up and running for 1 1/2 months now, it has 11 corals of mixed species and some clowns, a goby and a pistol shrimp.

What should I do with my 1st chamber, I am not getting a skimmer and I don't have a sump, how should I build out the 1st chamber to give my tank extra nutrients/ filtration?

I will give any other tank info at request, Thanks for any advice/support!

CO2TLEY

Saltaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know isealive makes a filter roller for your tank. I have one for my Waterbox. It’s so good it bottomed out my nutrients, so be careful

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 13.5 evo and it has been up and running for 1 1/2 months now, it has 11 corals of mixed species and some clowns, a goby and a pistol shrimp.

What should I do with my 1st chamber, I am not getting a skimmer and I don't have a sump, how should I build out the 1st chamber to give my tank extra nutrients/ filtration?

I will give any other tank info at request, Thanks for any advice/support!
Isn't the first chamber typically filtration media like floss or a sponge followed by chemical media such as carbon or chemipure?

stewy14

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
heater space?
and why do u have so many corals when the tanks still not done cycling?
u should usually wait around 4-6 months before putting corals in, or 3 if u are confident enough

stewy14

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tru
Well one things for sure, they are some happy corals
true true! saw your tank pic, I love it! saw u were asking if acros are for beginners, they are difficult, weirdly enough, im keeping a tort acro alive and they are very very difficult, my tank is only around 4-5 months old... but you should try stylos and pociliporas!

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no, it was originally meant for a skimmer( I think), but I have a heater in it right now
Ok I've had freshwater AIO but not salt but I was visualizing the rear area like what a typical sump at the bottom has. First chamber for me is filter sock and chemical media cup. Second chamber is fuge and then skimmer before return chamber.

OP
OP
Preston's_Waters

Preston's_Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tru

true true! saw your tank pic, I love it! saw u were asking if acros are for beginners, they are difficult, weirdly enough, im keeping a tort acro alive and they are very very difficult, my tank is only around 4-5 months old... but you should try stylos and pociliporas!
Yes, I knew I was doing something right! And I will look into those corals, thanks

OP
OP
Preston's_Waters

Preston's_Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I've had freshwater AIO but not salt but I was visualizing the rear area like what a typical sump at the bottom has. First chamber for me is filter sock and chemical media cup. Second chamber is fuge and then skimmer before return chamber.
Ok thanks, I knew that people put some sort of media in there I just didn't know what

SDudge

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey - I've had a Fluval 13.5 running for 2 years now. It was my first step in reef keeping. I actually just have floss in chamber 1 and 2. Pump & Heater in 3. I recently changed the stock light for AI Blade (fits in current lid) and corals are loving it. Two small wavemakers for the flow helped get rid of ugly stages quite fast.

I have a pair of clowns and a Royal gramma. Rotated through a couple of gobies and they just didn't survive so maxed out at 3 fish I think.

I also agree with some of the comments above, if you rush through at the start, the ugly stages will hit your hard and your corals will suffer badly. Slow and steady.

20240605_182740.jpg

Kermit123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey - I've had a Fluval 13.5 running for 2 years now. It was my first step in reef keeping. I actually just have floss in chamber 1 and 2. Pump & Heater in 3. I recently changed the stock light for AI Blade (fits in current lid) and corals are loving it. Two small wavemakers for the flow helped get rid of ugly stages quite fast.

I have a pair of clowns and a Royal gramma. Rotated through a couple of gobies and they just didn't survive so maxed out at 3 fish I think.

I also agree with some of the comments above, if you rush through at the start, the ugly stages will hit your hard and your corals will suffer badly. Slow and steady.

20240605_182740.jpg
What wavemakers do you have?

Mmbra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should look into a 13.5 evo media basket. It will allow you to have filter floss, in top and whatever other filtration you want in the other levels.

shcrimps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when i had one of these the first chamber was usually a fuge on bottom and filter floss on top with the heater in the second and a to probe in the third

BristolEVO

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20240605_182740.jpg
I have a Blade in my EVO as well. What light settings are you using? I an using the Saxby one from the AI website. Seems to be okay I'm just not sure if it's too much or too little. Need a Par meter!

OP
OP
Preston's_Waters

Preston's_Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Blade in my EVO as well. What light settings are you using? I a using the Saxby one from the AI website. Seems to be okay I'm just not sure if it's too much or too little. Need a Par meter!have you found any that you like, I am looking for one
Have you found any that you like? I am also looking for one

TOP 10 Trending Threads

IS IT POSSIBLE TO "MASTER" REEFING? WHY OR WHY NOT?

• Yes.

Votes: 65 37.1%
  • No.

Votes: 99 56.6%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 11 6.3%
Back