What to feed mixed reef?

jimsreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would it be better to dose copepods one a month and live phyto everyday or dose reef nutritions phytofeast and Oysterfeast everyday? I have a 75 gallon mixed reef with around 40 corals and 13 fish. Thanks Jimsreef

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
if you're actively dosing copepods, you should be feeding with live phyto, yes. the reef nutrition stuff doesn't necessarily have to all be fed at the same time, i believe its more so just to provide a variety of options to your fish- especially if they're picky eaters.

LRS reef frenzy, or LRS herbivore is truly all you need. anything else is based off of brand-loyalty or just to have options to feed the fish/corals.

i made my own DIY mixture of food, with additions of supplements(nori, vitachem, selcon, etc). saved me money, and lasts longer since i can make more

exnisstech

Grumpy old man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a bit different. I have pods in all of my tanks but I've never added them. I've never used phyto and I stopped directly feeding corals a few years ago. I feed frozen PE mysis along with rods original and several types of what I feel are high quality pellets. I don't rinse the frozen. I add vitachem and selcon along with reef roids several times a week. I flood the tank with the return pumps off and the food and liquid blows all over so it looks like a snow storm in the tank. I figure the coral are getting nourishment from that along with light. Maybe I could get better growth if I did it differently but I'm not into fragging so super fast growth is not something I try to achieve.

EDIT : If I still kept fleshy LPS I would probably target feed them if for no other reason than it's cool to watch them eat lol

OP
OP
jimsreef

jimsreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Different answers I guess there are a lot of ways to do it. I'm going to try the quality foods route. Thanks jim

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Different answers I guess there are a lot of ways to do it. I'm going to try the quality foods route. Thanks jim
Hi Jim, don’t think that any fish/coral food you put in your tank isn’t quality. I like to think of our tank inhabitants as spoiled house guests. Lol. True, I use Reefroids and Goniopower but the nourishment my corals receive from just fish poo, second hand fish food, for many years, free of charge sort of? Will sustain and nourish them. In the wild fish and corals are scavenging and eating all day. Our pets, 1-3 broadcast feeds a day. Like us. Lol. First world problems right? 16 oz. Oyster feast $40-$50 vs free poo. Not that you can’t supplement. Good post @exnisstech

OP
OP
jimsreef

jimsreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I agree the oyster feast is getting hard on my pocket. I tend to over think things pertaining to this hobby. Been in it for 22 years and still dumb as a box of rocks.

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I agree the oyster feast is getting hard on my pocket. I tend to over think things pertaining to this hobby. Been in it for 22 years and still dumb as a box of rocks.
We all make adjustments, it’s a part of the journey.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

DO YOU PREFER BIGGER TANKS OR SMALLER TANKS? WHY?

• The bigger the tank, the better it is!

Votes: 28 75.7%
  • The smaller the tank, the sweeter it is!

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 8.1%
Back