What to look for when buying used Apex

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I’m considering buying a one year old used Apex controller with EB-8. System and probes.

Before I hand over the cash what should I inspect, make sure is included or make sure that the prior owner does (like turning off account?)

thanks in advance!

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Obvious visual inspection - scratches or cracks, probe seals for the the cords, any discoloration on the energy bar, frayed cords or bent damaged connectors. Sniff around the energy bar when it's plugged in for ozone/plastic. If possible I'd want to see a calibration on all the probes and see if all the power outlets work and all the modules are present on the display.

OP
OP
M

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Obvious visual inspection - scratches or cracks, probe seals for the the cords, any discoloration on the energy bar, frayed cords or bent damaged connectors. Sniff around the energy bar when it's plugged in for ozone/plastic. If possible I'd want to see a calibration on all the probes and see if all the power outlets work and all the modules are present on the display.
@Quietman thanks! I’m wondering if I can ask the previous owner to
@Quietman thanks! I also appreciate you getting passed my heading typo of “Alex” vs “Apex”!

link81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would expect to replace the probes, (not temp) and factor that into the price. If the old ones calibrate, cool. if not, you're not suprised by it.
other then that, make sure it's in good general condition. make sure it's disconnected from fusion, and that you know the IP address and local apex admin login.

Connect the EB to the brain using an aquabus cable, and make sure that all 8 of the outlets work. Use a regular incandescent light bulb, some of the LED's don't draw enough current to trip the triac outlets reliable (1-3 and 5-7 iirc)

Try both AB ports on the brain, and all 6 on the EB, make sure that they all work.

is it the new wifi apex? or the older classic?
if it's only one year old, i would expect the wifi, but it should come with the EB-832, not the EB-8. the 832 is worth more $ then the 8.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also inspect all the ports for rust or corrosion.

This is important, the USB ports seem quite susceptible to corrosion.

As with all things, value is dependent upon price. Since the OP says 'EB8', I'm going to assume the brain is a classic not the updated 2016 version. Not sure I would buy into the classic at this point, even at a sizable used discount (and it would have to be sizable, at least 50%). Classic won't work with trident and I think its likely that future modules will be incompatible as well.

OP
OP
M

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Quietman @link81 @SuncrestReef @ca1ore thanks for all of your very helpful comments. To clarify it’s the “new” Apex with Energy Bar and WiFi. But if I work through the math, a new unit costs $800. And if I need to replace the probes (pH, salinity, ORP) total cost is $275. So at best a used unit price needs to be $525 or lower — and I’m assuming a one year warranty is also close to end.

Thanks for helping me organize my thoughts on this.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But if I work through the math, a new unit costs $800. And if I need to replace the probes (pH, salinity, ORP) total cost is $275. So at best a used unit price needs to be $525 or lower — and I’m assuming a one year warranty is also close to end.

Thanks for helping me organize my thoughts on this.

Yup! Hard to know how to 'value' the lack of warranty though. I tend to value it more as a buyer than do the sellers LOL. If it were me, I'd further discount the unit by $150 …. at which point the seller would probably tell me to $&*^&%$. I was recently exchanging pleasantries with somebody selling a new-in-box Radion G4Pro. Asking price was the same as currently discounted (if you can even find one) new-at-retail; but, the warranty is not transferable. Seemed reasonable to me to discount the unit as a result. Silly me. Suffice it to say, we did not strike a deal. Frankly, he may well get his asking price …..

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup! Hard to know how to 'value' the lack of warranty though. I tend to value it more as a buyer than do the sellers LOL. If it were me, I'd further discount the unit by $150 …. at which point the seller would probably tell me to $&*^&%$. I was recently exchanging pleasantries with somebody selling a new-in-box Radion G4Pro. Asking price was the same as currently discounted (if you can even find one) new-at-retail; but, the warranty is not transferable. Seemed reasonable to me to discount the unit as a result. Silly me. Suffice it to say, we did not strike a deal. Frankly, he may well get his asking price …..
Thanks for this. Sort of reminds me of how much value you lose when you drive the new car off the dealer lot.

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Classic won't work with trident and I think its likely that future modules will be incompatible as well.

This was the big takeaway for me and the reason I decided against a used one. I would recommend being patient and saving up for the EL version.

OP
OP
M

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I’d share an update. I reduced their offer price by $200 to cover the cost of the probes and a bit more for not being under warranty. Quickest no I’ve ever seen. But at least they were polite!

What member(s) of your home reef are your priority?

• My fish

Votes: 23 36.5%
  • My coral

Votes: 35 55.6%
  • My inverts

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Other Livestock (Please explain!)

Votes: 2 3.2%
Back