What would be a good Wrasse to add to my tank?

albie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 60 gallon tank, currently cycling with Tampa Bay Saltwater live rock. Planning to stock with the following fish:

2 ocellaris clownfish
Flame angelfish
Some sort of puffer eg Valentini, Bennet’s Sharpnose
Midas Blenny
Some sort of goby
And maybe a Banggai cardinal and/or firefish.

I’m wondering about also adding a Wrasse to the mix. Some tank cleaning capability would be a plus! Any suggestions with this tank size and tank mates? Going to either just stick with live rock or add some soft corals down the road.

Formulator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest waiting at least 6 months, ideally a year before attempting a wrasse. They graze on copepods and amphipods throughout the day and those pods only come with time and tank maturity. You can buy pods or culture them and add to the tank, but they won’t do very well in a brand new tank. You will also need a lid/screen on your tank if you don’t already have one. Wrasse are jumpers.

Take my advice or leave it. Whenever you do decide to get one, I am personally a huge fan of leopard wrasse, both ornate and vermiculated.

IMG_4948.jpeg

IMG_4939.jpeg

OP
OP
A

albie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest waiting at least 6 months, ideally a year before attempting a wrasse. They graze on copepods and amphipods throughout the day and those pods only come with time and tank maturity. You can buy pods or culture them and add to the tank, but they won’t do very well in a brand new tank. You will also need a lid/screen on your tank if you don’t already have one. Wrasse are jumpers.

Take my advice or leave it. Whenever you do decide to get one, I am personally a huge fan of leopard wrasse, both ornate and vermiculated.

IMG_4948.jpeg

IMG_4939.jpeg
Thanks for the advice. I certainly don’t mind waiting a while to add the last couple of fish to the tank and do at least have a lid.

Is this the same for all wrasses or are the leopards more difficult than some others? I see they are marked as Expert Only on Live Aquaria (and seem to need more space than my 60 gallon), whereas others are classed as Easy and able to get by in a smaller tank.

Last edited:

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you add last a Sixline or Fourline wrasse would be fine. They are very beautiful fish, especially Fourline, but aggressive. I also like Black Leopards. Much nicer fish than the lined wrasse, and I dare say more beautiful than any other Leopard wrasses.

I just have to post pictures after stating the above

Female
BlackLeopardWrasse2019041801.jpg

Male
BlackLeopardWrasse2020051601 - Copy.jpg

Nuptial Male coloration
BlackLeopardWrasse2020032202.jpg
BlackLeopardWrasse2020040401Male.jpg

OP
OP
A

albie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you add last a Sixline or Fourline wrasse would be fine. They are very beautiful fish, especially Fourline, but aggressive. I also like Black Leopards. Much nicer fish than the lined wrasse, and I dare say more beautiful than any other Leopard wrasses.

Female

Male

Nuptial Male coloration
Thanks for the input. Beautiful fish, but I’m starting to think maybe not right for my tank.

Formulator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Female

Male

Nuptial Male coloration
Agree 100%! I have a pair in my 120g :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

DO YOU PREFER BIGGER TANKS OR SMALLER TANKS? WHY?

• The bigger the tank, the better it is!

Votes: 30 76.9%
  • The smaller the tank, the sweeter it is!

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 7.7%
Back