What's the best conditions for zoa's and soft corals

alindell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be setting up an 80 gal soon. Primarily using radions, flow will be from return and vortechs. Just wanted to see if there is any "expert" tips out there for zoa care. What's the best practices when it comes to lighting settings for the radions including Intensity, and duration. What flow patterns, supplementation, dips, and other parameters to watch for other than main ones would you suggest. Any particular method that sees success? Any important additives or supplements to dose. Just looking for whatever advice anyone who grows zoanthids successfully can offer.

Daniel92481

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoanthids and most softies in general prefer nutrient rich waters compared to lower nitrates and phosphates. I have also read that iodine testing and supplement can be beneficial to zoanthids. IME, I never really noticed a difference with the iodine. I would also suggest researching growth patterns, speed of growth, size of polyps, palys vs. zoas if you wanted to create a garden of them without them growing over each other and causing some smothering.

Even with all of the fancy coral types out there these days, I find that a mesmerizing, well thought out Zoa garden is hard to beat. As far as the radions, I do not have any experience with them to share.

DO YOU USE A PAR METER WHEN PLACING NEW CORAL IN YOUR TANK?

• Yes! I think it's important for the longterm health/growth of my coral.

Votes: 6 7.7%
  • Yes, but I don't find that it is necessary all the time.

Votes: 17 21.8%
  • Not currently, but I would like to.

Votes: 33 42.3%
  • No. I don't measure PAR and my corals are still healthy/growing.

Votes: 18 23.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 4 5.1%
Back