Will my beneficial bacteria die without ammonia

BristleWormHater

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Set up tank on Tuesday with live rock and live sand. Got water tested and lfs said 0 ammonia. No fish yet, will the bacteria die without an ammonia source?

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Set up tank on Tuesday with live rock and live sand. Got water tested and lfs said 0 ammonia. No fish yet, will the bacteria die without an ammonia source?
The bacteria will eventually die off. When are the fish going in?

Upvote 0

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about the slow response but I dosed more bacteria and bought liquid ammonia to dose. That will be enough right?
How long before the fish go in.

In principle, you could keep feeding the bacteria, and they will keep growing. Right now I have an experiment in progress to see how long a nitrifying bacteria population survive without feeding. So far, they last a month.

Upvote 0

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maybe a month at max before fish go in.
@Dan_P
You are fine. If you would feel more comfortable, feed the bacteria a little ammonia, like, tenths of a ppm ammonia per week. That way you won’t be building up too much nitrite and nitrate unnecessarily.

Upvote 0

jonelder68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sprinkle a pinch of food in and no worries. Or if no fish food a piece of raw shrimp. It will sustain them for awhile!
In the past I’ve added half a piece of shrimp and let the rock go for 3-4 months. Tested paremeters once or twice a week. As long as you’re getting hits on the basics I think you’ll be fine. I’m getting ready to do this with some Tampa live rock and sand in the refugium while I move the tank to tile the downstairs floor that the wife finally decided to do now that tanks ready to go of course. No interest past 3-4 months on doing the flooring…but now lol!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BristleWormHater

BristleWormHater

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the past I’ve added half a piece of shrimp and let the rock go for 3-4 months. Tested paremeters once or twice a week. As long as you’re getting hits on the basics I think you’ll be fine. I’m getting ready to do this with some Tampa live rock and sand in the refugium while I move the tank to tile the downstairs floor that the wife finally decided to do now that tanks ready to go of course. No interest past 3-4 months on doing the flooring…but now lol!
Thanks for input!

Upvote 0
Back