Wrasse QT question

Ziggy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking to purchase a Coris Wrasse( Canary) online from a reputable fish store. I contacted them and asked if they QT their fish prior to selling. They advised that all their fish tanks run copper at 2.5 at all times. This particular fish has been there for a month or so. Should I still QT the fish?

From what I’ve been reading on here, it sounds like wrasse don’t do well in a medicated QT. If I’m not medicating them with prazi or copper, what are other risks that can be introduced if a QT is not done?

Cheers.

Edited for grammar.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking to purchase a Coris Wrasse( Canary) online from a reputable fish store. I contacted them and asked if they QT their fish prior to selling. They advised that all their fish tanks run copper at 2.5 at all times. This particular fish has been there for a month or so. Should I still QT the fish?

From what I’ve been reading on here, it sounds like wrasse don’t do well in a medicated QT. If I’m not medicating them with prazi or copper, what are other risks that can be introduced if a QT is not done?

Cheers.

Edited for grammar.
Honestly, I’ve yet to QT my own fish - they’ve all sat in an LFS with copper and have done fine from day 1.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Anytime a new fish is added to a copper system, the timer resets for the rest of the fish. Unless the fish have been isolated from new additions for 30 days at 81F, you should still QT. They also need to be treated for flukes which are very common ime.

OP
OP
Ziggy17

Ziggy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Anytime a new fish is added to a copper system, the timer resets for the rest of the fish. Unless the fish have been isolated from new additions for 30 days at 81F, you should still QT. They also need to be treated for flukes which are very common ime.
What is your mortality rate with using prazi on your wrasse in QT?

OP
OP
Ziggy17

Ziggy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is to the Canadian folks.

What are we using since prazi isn’t available that’s proving to work well?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is to the Canadian folks.

What are we using since prazi isn’t available that’s proving to work well?

Hyposalinity works. That also treats marine ich but not velvet unfortunately.

OP
OP
Ziggy17

Ziggy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve decided to go the copper route as I don’t have a laser accurate refractometer. I’m a little nervous about the copper though. I know how to do the initial dose, but I’m a bit worried about the top off doses to keep it over 2 and under 2.5

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like 48 hours. But I think copper is safer for me. Just wish there was a dosing calculator for maintaining the 2.5 after initial dose.

Are you referring to keeping the copper at 2.5ppm for water changes? If so, just make the new water at 2.5ppm and add that to the tank.

OP
OP
Ziggy17

Ziggy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. I’m thinking of not doing any WCs for the 30 days. It’s got live rock from my sump and I had the sponge filter going for 2 weeks in the sump as well. So the ammonia levels should be fine. I guess I’m presuming that there is absorption of style copper that requires small doses every day or at some point to keep it at 2.5.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back