Wrasse Suddenly Swimming in Circles

Nate_Krohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have any idea what’s going on with my wrasse? Has been in the display for a week and been acting perfect until today after the usually 5pm feeding. Seems like a swim bladder issue??

Attachments

• IMG_2085.mov
    43 MB

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait for others to chime in but I would read through this post.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Anyone have any idea what’s going on with my wrasse? Has been in the display for a week and been acting perfect until today after the usually 5pm feeding. Seems like a swim bladder issue??

This fish is moribund and will likely not eat or swim normal moving forward and a fish that is subject to what is known as UNWD courtesy Of Jay encounter UNWD which shows neurological symptoms where it either cannot swim well, swims tail down or swims with a bent spine and despite all this, the wrasse will still attempt to feed and display no damage such as crashing into objects. Other could be depending where fish is from, cyanide capture which is delayed but the fish ends up in this state

OP
OP
Nate_Krohn

Nate_Krohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly the wrasse quit moving and was hardly breathing so was caught euthanized. Feel absolutely terrible. Seems like a common issue among wrasses though. Showed the same signs as UNWD

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly the wrasse quit moving and was hardly breathing so was caught euthanized. Feel absolutely terrible. Seems like a common issue among wrasses though. Showed the same signs as UNWD
While this could be UNWD, the one key symptom I use to identify that issue is that the affected fish will still try to feed. It sounds like your wrasse went downhill much faster than usual and wasn't trying to feed. That could point to another issue, where this wrasse was moribund, actively dying from some other issue. You'll want to watch your other fish very closely for the next couple of weeks.....

OP
OP
Nate_Krohn

Nate_Krohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While this could be UNWD, the one key symptom I use to identify that issue is that the affected fish will still try to feed. It sounds like your wrasse went downhill much faster than usual and wasn't trying to feed. That could point to another issue, where this wrasse was moribund, actively dying from some other issue. You'll want to watch your other fish very closely for the next couple of weeks.....
Well aware, sadly. Wrasse did go through QT fine and was actively eating while barely being able to swim. I also thought back to when I purchased him and he definitely had a drooped tail.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

DO YOU USE A PAR METER WHEN PLACING NEW CORAL IN YOUR TANK?

• Yes! I think it's important for the longterm health/growth of my coral.

Votes: 6 7.8%
  • Yes, but I don't find that it is necessary all the time.

Votes: 16 20.8%
  • Not currently, but I would like to.

Votes: 33 42.9%
  • No. I don't measure PAR and my corals are still healthy/growing.

Votes: 18 23.4%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 4 5.2%
Back