Zoa Frag Tank?

Runner

Grandmaster Sparky
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the best way to set up a zoanthid frag tank?

For about the first time ever I have several colonies of zoanthids (tubbs blues, pale greenish paly, reverse gorilla nipples) that are coliding with each other and my other zoas. I've glued small pieces of LR rubble between a few of them to protect the slower growers, but they are about overrun and ready to be removed. Since I have only my 24G tank, I've run out of room to remove them to. So for this and for reasons of growing a few things for future trade or later re-introduction to my tank, I've decided to set up a frag tank.

What I have right now for a frag tank is a 20G long. I have several options for a new or used 24" or 30" T5HO fixture (about 96W of T5 light). My next thought was to get an egg-crate rack and mount it 4" to 6" off the bottom to increase light on the frags. I've tested one of these fixtures with slightly used bulbs and I get about 200 PAR 8" below water.

Given this, what is the best thing I can do for:
  1. Filtration? I envisioned a hang-on-back for carbon only.
  2. Water movement? One or two small powerheads
  3. Clean up crew? Keep it empty or put in snails, hermits, or the like.
  4. Add certain fish or parasite predator? Not really wanted to do this, but wondering if a 6-line or mitrhax crab or something else beneficial might help.
  5. Or add a fish (like a 6-line) to produce waste? Would the nitrates benefit zoas?
  6. Bare bottom or LR in bottom or filter?
My ideal setup would be minimalist: egg-crate, bare bottom, no critters, and a couple of powerheads for water movement. But do I need more to encourage zoanthid and paly growth?

I appreciate any insight -- especially from somebody who has done this before.

Thanks!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Honestly Scott I think you already have it figured out. Your zoas will not need much at all and could thrive under even lower lighting. I would just come an inch or so off the bottom. One other thing I would do it make my egg crate racks in two or three parts. When I did a full rack sometimes I would lose a frag through the grid and it was impossible to get without removing the whole thing and all the zoas. Also it makes it possible to clean under there.

Is there anyway you can plumb it into the main system?

OP
OP
Runner

Runner

Grandmaster Sparky
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know. And good idea on the multi-part bottom. I had even thought about having one part higher and closer to the lights than another.

No, not really. My main tank is a stand-alone 24G nano-cube without sump or anything external. Only good frag tank location in my house would not be beside it, anywyay.

reefpeeper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a frag tank pretty much like what u are describing and the only reason i took it down is because i ran out of room. Other then that it worked fine. I would add a sixline or yellow coris wrasse.

OP
OP
Runner

Runner

Grandmaster Sparky
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would there be any reason to make an acrylic frag holder rather than use the standard white egg crate? Or perhaps use black egg crate like the 2' x 2' square they sell at BRS (claiming black causes less algae growth)?

xxbrianxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think it's mainly for aesthetic reasons. and because of the fact that acrylic let's more light through in case you wanted to keep corals under the rack. but either way once that frag rack is full and the acrylic is covered in coralline it won't be letting much light through. I've only used black egg crate so I can't compare but just based on pictures I think it looks cleaner. and I do have minimal algae growth on my eggcrate so maybe it actually is working

Nano-Newb1983

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i got a 10g frag tank just for zoas

I have 20" Duel 24w t5 light, aquaclear 50, heater and Powerhead and some live rock

Pic when it was 1st set up
001-3.jpg

caudill187

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That ought to work very well for you.

I'd put some fine sand in the bottom (just an inch or so, so I could clean it easily) and keep the alk low :) I'd add a small Zebrasoma sp. tang, perhaps some small snails and hermits and keep the big snails out (no turbos).

BoB_25

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your zoas will not need much at all and could thrive under even lower lighting.

How low and what kind would a person suggest? I'm think about doing this why I buy all the pieces and parts for my big tank along with finishing my basement....maybe a year or so down the road...So cheap but something that would promote growth while I finishing the other projects.

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys are aware this post is almost 5 years old right? Haha

BoB_25

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys are aware this post is almost 5 years old right? Haha

Correct....I looking to set one up and instead of starting a new post I searched the forums and asked questions. Looking for some insight!

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly Scott I think you already have it figured out. Your zoas will not need much at all and could thrive under even lower lighting. I would just come an inch or so off the bottom. One other thing I would do it make my egg crate racks in two or three parts. When I did a full rack sometimes I would lose a frag through the grid and it was impossible to get without removing the whole thing and all the zoas. Also it makes it possible to clean under there.

Sounds like you guys Copied My 20 Gallon Zoanthid Frag Tank LOL.

20 Gallon Long
Black Egg Crate 1 Inch Off the Bottom (In 3 Pieces)
2 Koralia Powerheads
Tetra Hang on the Back Filter

1 Zoanthid Frags 2.jpg
1 Zoanthid Frags 1.jpg

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back