Zoas not opening

hube

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bad GHA problem but it’s been getting under control after a long couple months manually removing as it comes in. However, I tried to scrape some off of my Zoa frag rock with some tweezers and I failed to see that there is a Zoa growing outside of the frag rock so it’s like I scraped the branch of it or something the circle is where I scraped the rock. I’ve had this Zoa since January and now after my mess up, it’s been closed for a week and a half now. How concerned should I be? I also catch my cleaner shrimp sometimes walking on it and that probably doesn’t help.

I do also see the green bubble algae as well, it will be removed promptly after this post.

IMG_8799.jpeg

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
likely not opening due to what's going on in the tank. very likely to be a nutrient imbalance and contributing to the zoa's being closed.

OP
OP
H

hube

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
likely not opening due to what's going on in the tank. very likely to be a nutrient imbalance and contributing to the zoa's being closed.
Wouldn’t my other corals close up as well though? I have a Duncan, Frogspawn, and Mushroom Leather.

resortez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second Shaka. Without parameter number, just on visual from the pic, the environment doesn’t seem stable & instability will stress coral. It can also come from various other issues but I will lean more towards what Shaka mentioned. Good luck

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Wouldn’t my other corals close up as well though? I have a Duncan, Frogspawn, and Mushroom Leather.
judging by the picture the zoa's do have algae growing on them. you can individually dip the zoa's in hydrogen peroxide mixed in with tank water (add drops at a time until you zee the zoa start of fizz/bubble- it should remove the algae)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I have a bad GHA problem but it’s been getting under control after a long couple months manually removing as it comes in. However, I tried to scrape some off of my Zoa frag rock with some tweezers and I failed to see that there is a Zoa growing outside of the frag rock so it’s like I scraped the branch of it or something the circle is where I scraped the rock. I’ve had this Zoa since January and now after my mess up, it’s been closed for a week and a half now. How concerned should I be? I also catch my cleaner shrimp sometimes walking on it and that probably doesn’t help.

I do also see the green bubble algae as well, it will be removed promptly after this post.

IMG_8799.jpeg
I see what appears to be zoa pox (unconfirmed). Assure phos not elevated and moderate flow.
Dip them in lugols iodine and rinse it small container of tank water and return to tank

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back