️ Electricity Issue ! GFCI tripping when turning off geae ️

Malum Argenteum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe bypass the power strip and see if the problem still occurs. If the GFCI does not trip when you're not using the power strip, then the problem is in the power strip.

Malum Argenteum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good idea, try that too. :)

I would also consider simply putting a different device on the position on the strip that the skimmer is using, and just testing that switch. So, e.g. move the skimmer plug to where the lights are plugged in.

Then, if the skimmer on the new switch continues to trip the GFCI, then the issue is with the skimmer (or something about the skimmer not playing nice with the GFCI). If the lights that are now on the old skimmer switch is the thing that trips the GFCI, then that switch is faulty.

Troubleshooting this sort of thing is often just mixing up the variables in different combinations until you've figured out which variable consistently causes the problem.

OP
OP
SomeHappyFish

SomeHappyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would also consider simply putting a different device on the position on the strip that the skimmer is using, and just testing that switch. So, e.g. move the skimmer plug to where the lights are plugged in.

Then, if the skimmer on the new switch continues to trip the GFCI, then the issue is with the skimmer (or something about the skimmer not playing nice with the GFCI). If the lights that are now on the old skimmer switch is the thing that trips the GFCI, then that switch is faulty.

Troubleshooting this sort of thing is often just mixing up the variables in different combinations until you've figured out which variable consistently causes the problem.
Nice thanks for the ideas !

OP
OP
SomeHappyFish

SomeHappyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found this on the web
1000007817.jpg

OP
OP
SomeHappyFish

SomeHappyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hmm it worked... lights plugged in the skimmer outlet and I spammed the switch and nothing.

REEFRIED!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a bit confused. I understand that the gfci strip the OP is using could be faulty and causing nuisance trips. I also believe that (most likely) there is a problem inside the DJ power bar and that could be causing GFCI trips. But neither explain why his multimeter is showing stray voltage in the tank.

If I were you I would run an extension cord to an outlet that is not on the circuit you are using for the tank. Just use the extension cord, no gfci. Then plug one thing into the extension cord with everything else in the tank off. Then run another extension cord to any other outlet (preferably not the one the tank uses) to use to connect one of your meter leads to establish ground. Place the other lead in the tank and plug each piece of equipment into the first extension cord one at a time. You should be getting a voltage reading of zero.

Even if your power strip is faulty it seems like something is wrong with one of your pieces of equipment. There should never be any voltage in the water if everything is working properly.

OP
OP
SomeHappyFish

SomeHappyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a bit confused. I understand that the gfci strip the OP is using could be faulty and causing nuisance trips. I also believe that (most likely) there is a problem inside the DJ power bar and that could be causing GFCI trips. But neither explain why his multimeter is showing stray voltage in the tank.

If I were you I would run an extension cord to an outlet that is not on the circuit you are using for the tank. Just use the extension cord, no gfci. Then plug one thing into the extension cord with everything else in the tank off. Then run another extension cord to any other outlet (preferably not the one the tank uses) to use to connect one of your meter leads to establish ground. Place the other lead in the tank and plug each piece of equipment into the first extension cord one at a time. You should be getting a voltage reading of zero.

Even if your power strip is faulty it seems like something is wrong with one of your pieces of equipment. There should never be any voltage in the water if everything is working properly.
I think I will be buying a grounding probe and get to the bottom of this.
1000007818.jpg

This person has a similar issue minus the switches. It seems to be induced voltage.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can't use a digital multimeter to test induced voltage that way. The number is somewhat meaningless.

As for the GFCI tripping when the skimmer is turned off, I assume that is the switch arcing when turned off and that arc may be induced by the still magnetic field collapse in the motor. I would build my own GFCI power snake using a quality leviton or hubbel GFCI receptacle. I am NOT a fan of extension cord style GFCIs and most don't auto reset after power failure anyway.

OP
OP
SomeHappyFish

SomeHappyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can't use a digital multimeter to test induced voltage that way. The number is somewhat meaningless.

As for the GFCI tripping when the skimmer is turned off, I assume that is the switch arcing when turned off and that arc may be induced by the still magnetic field collapse in the motor. I would build my own GFCI power snake using a quality leviton or hubbel GFCI receptacle. I am NOT a fan of extension cord style GFCIs and most don't auto reset after power failure anyway.
I think I have an analogue one somewhere.

This is what I use
1000007819.jpg

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I have an analogue one somewhere.

This is what I use
1000007819.jpg
I would grab:

Single or Double Gang outdoor metal box
Cord grip
SO or SOOJ cord
Nema 5-15P plug
Leviton GFCI receptacle (or two)
Bubble Cover

And build your own.
If you use two, you can split critical equipment onto two GFCIs.

OP
OP
SomeHappyFish

SomeHappyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would grab:

Single or Double Gang outdoor metal box
Cord grip
SO or SOOJ cord
Nema 5-15P plug
Leviton GFCI receptacle (or two)
Bubble Cover

And build your own.
If you use two, you can split critical equipment onto two GFCIs.
Okay cool! I get the splitting the critical equipment, which is smart but how would this fix my issue ?

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure that there is an issue. I would try a different GFCI first.

OP
OP
SomeHappyFish

SomeHappyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remove the reactor pump (Type A plug, no ground on it) and tested it in the kitchen sink and the voltages in the water is 20v. I go back to the Tank and test the voltage without the pump and it's still 30v...

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 39 19.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 146 74.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.6%
Back