34 years, action by the state legislature, winning the lottery, Federal & State approvals, and a plan. All for this dream fish

braaap

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0

You sound fun and really annoying.
Op this thing is awesome! Would love to hear how you collected it. Almost everytime I go snorkeling or diving I have one or two around me. They always seem so friendly. Magnificent creatures.

Last edited by a moderator:

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many people would just have eaten the fish if they had hooked into it?
Sea Fish GIF by Dr. Paul Bearer

OP
OP
G

guppygoliath

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should’ve read the whole thing before I reported but I can see what everyone else might get excited about.

It’s the pirates code of enforcement. Aka reef2reef guidelines that we need to follow
Jack Sparrow Pirate GIF by MonkexNFT
Feeling a little like Richard Jewell here. I thought the title said enough

danenelsen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can we just marvel at this incredible creature, and the incredible habitat @guppygoliath has provided for it? 3400 gallons, is a lot of space and commitment. Obviously, this wasn’t some impulse obtainment, just read the title!

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feeling a little like Richard Jewell here.
Had to search RJ to get your point and I am not surprised with your statement or the response you have received here. Lots of people get triggered by what they perceive as a lack of respect for the law and protection of the law, the planet and all the other stuff that is dear to them.

It’s the status of the world and it’s why I have found it easy to stay on the outside of the permitted sphere and embrace the freedom of the pirates, on many occasions.

Love to tell the whole tale but the statute of limitations won’t protect me from the authorities and the angry mob that swims around the Reef and devours any perceived offenders or just the weak fish that are easily consumed.

Hats off for stirring the waters and getting a fish like that one for us to admire.

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a Floridian lots of people think they know things about Florida lol. Florida has so many back laws and programs that you can't assume anything lol.

It is awesome you were able to get the grouper. Like other people have asked, love to see a full tank shot.

This is really cool. I heard about an open grouper season a while back and they were discussing allowing people to keep do to their population now and the effects on smaller species as they get larger I believe. Looks like you'll need a few huge freezers as it grows and lots of fishing trips to feed lol.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dive 60 miles off the coast of Tampa Bay in about 90'+ depth and have seen them big enough to swallow a person with giant spikes going down their back.

not a fish I would mess with no telling what they think is food, and I'm sure with thier mouth wide open you could park a VW in it.

this is not my video, and this is a "baby" fish I've seen them much bigger than this, but it definitely demonstrates the power of that fish.

it's a beautiful fish unfortunately they were way overdished and their species was threatened, now their numbers have bounced back enough to allow 26 people to harvest one.

unfortunately lots of grouper are still threatened by invasive lion fish, that's definitely an issue developing in our state in the recent years.

NanoNana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

this is not my video, and this is a "baby" fish I've seen them much bigger than this, but it definitely demonstrates the power of that fish.

it's a beautiful fish unfortunately they were way overdished and their species was threatened, now their numbers have bounced back enough to allow 26 people to harvest one.

unfortunately lots of grouper are still threatened by invasive lion fish, that's definitely an issue developing in our state in the recent years.

My little royal gramma can open her mouth nearly that wide when she’s mad at the firefish. lol! Groupers are so cool. Glad the OP snagged one!

Jmp998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is your dream-obviously you set it up how you want-and maybe your focus is to make the environment as natural/realistic as possible. But I think such a big habitat with only this fish would feel underutilized, to me.

What sort of temperature does this fish require? As it gets bigger, could you add something more fanciful but low maintenance like a cluster of bubble tip anemones with a clownfish harem? I'm not sure if the grouper would bother the anemones, but the clownfish would possibly be too small to be of any interest. Or if this is a colder water species, some cold water anemones etc might add some interest.

Admittedly I have a different perspective since my biggest fish is about 4".

Back