Advice for changing sand on established tank with sand sifter

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay good! I guess I just get nervous anytime I see algae now! I’ll keep it updated as I keep going, trying to show pictures along the way. I will see about blocking out some of the lights today! Just start with like a row to start?

And because I skipped that peroxide step, should I go back to the rocks and do that when I clean the tank next? Should I avoid rocks with the ball nems attached? I feel bad causing everybody so much stress in the tank!
Keep the glass clean and your snails are more likely to congregate on the rock instead of eating an easy meal from the glass. Are you really contemplating taking the rocks out, every time they start growing stuff?

OP
OP
N

newbie1995

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep the glass clean and your snails are more likely to congregate on the rock instead of eating an easy meal from the glass. Are you really contemplating taking the rocks out, every time they start growing stuff?
Okay I can definitely do that more frequently through the week as opposed to weekly!
And as I’ve mentioned, I took over this tank when my uncle passed and it was in bad condition. I’m just kind of desperately kind of trying to keep everything alive and try and learn and figure out the best way to get it to the right place. Lacking any previous experience and not knowing that this was going to fall into my life so quickly, I’m still learning how a healthy tank should operate and look, so I guess I just have after what I’m reading that it would just all come back.
I’m open to all suggestions and just want to learn how to keep up with it the best I can to keep everybody happy and regress back to its previous state.
I really do appreciate your advice and any other advice or things you could help teach me that will help on this journey! There’s just so much I’m trying to learn, it helps to come on here and see what all you guys with experience suggest.

OP
OP
N

newbie1995

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay I can definitely do that more frequently through the week as opposed to weekly!
And as I’ve mentioned, I took over this tank when my uncle passed and it was in bad condition. I’m just kind of desperately kind of trying to keep everything alive and try and learn and figure out the best way to get it to the right place. Lacking any previous experience and not knowing that this was going to fall into my life so quickly, I’m still learning how a healthy tank should operate and look, so I guess I just have after what I’m reading that it would just all come back.
I’m open to all suggestions and just want to learn how to keep up with it the best I can to keep everybody happy and regress back to its previous state.
I really do appreciate your advice and any other advice or things you could help teach me that will help on this journey! There’s just so much I’m trying to learn, it helps to come on here and see what all you guys with experience suggest.
I will also say I was considering just doing this again because I realize I missed the peroxide step that was suggested to me, so I thought I should go back and try again since it still feels like it’s coming back so quickly. I thought I did something wrong and screwed it up.

Back