Alkalinity/Calcium Stability - What You Definition of True Stability?

Fenwickwick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone knows one of the keys to successful coral growth is stable Alk/Ca. My question is, what is the real definition of stable? Are we talking about a rock solid unwavering alk of 9.5? or is bouncing around from 9 to 9.5 back to 9.2 , etc. ok?

Here's my trident results from the last few days. I dose several times a day, but find it hard to get much better than this.

For reference, everything is growing and happy in my tank, SPS and LPS alike. I'd just like to know everyone's thoughts!

1680193042569.png

1680193081596.png

IMG-0186.jpg
IMG-0189.jpg
IMG-0185.jpg

Last edited:

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The obvious answer is unwavering Alk/Ca.

However, our tanks aren't oceans.

So the better question is what are acceptable swings.

For Ca, which is very abundant in seawater and our tanks, I'm not sure it matters. As long as the Ca is abundant, you're good. Say 350ppm or higher.

For Alk, it's a different story. Its not that abundant and a tank typically consumes anywhere from 0.5 to 5.5dKH a day and is highly dependent on tank maturity and stocking.

Based on experienced hobbiest, the normally recommended swings are less than 1dKH per day and no more than 0.5dKH change at a single adjustment.

Last edited:

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 75 40.8%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 93 50.5%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.8%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 6 3.3%
Back