All my fish are randomly dying!

Formulator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not run a skimmer I use an air pump and a bubbling strip. I buy my water from my local fish store I don’t know if it is RODI or not but I have been using it for a long time with no problems. i usually just add more fresh water when it gets low due to evaporation. I have 3 fish I tested for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates last night and they were all 0 ppm.
You buy freshwater from the LFS or mixed saltwater? Do you top off with water from the tap or the purchased water? Also what is your temperature range like?

Sorry for the long line of questioning, but I’m trying to eliminate some of the easier things for you.

Formulator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, what kind of fish do you have in there? In general your original 8 fish was probably too many to have in a 20 gallon tank. 4-5 in a 20 g tank is plenty and you definitely should never have had a lionfish or puffer fish which I saw in a previous post of yours. I’m not trying to be the fish police here, but poor husbandry could very well be your problem. They could just be killing each other because they are overcrowded depending on the species.

OP
OP
T

tylr_am

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please furnish clear you tube video under white lighting. May be velvet or indeed flukes,
What are some behaviors you are seeing such as loss of appetite, gasping at surface, hiding, swimming in front of powerhead, itching.
The ones you describe suggest velvet which would require coppersafe as treatment followed by prazi after 30 days. Adding aeration will also help.
Video will offer clues
Would it maybe help if I treat with ruby reef pro and kick ich I’ve been doing research about the symptoms and it said that may help do you think it’s worth a try?

OP
OP
T

tylr_am

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You buy freshwater from the LFS or mixed saltwater? Do you top off with water from the tap or the purchased water? Also what is your temperature range like?

Sorry for the long line of questioning, but I’m trying to eliminate some of the easier things for you.
I top off with the fish store water and the fish store makes it there and the tank is usually 72-76

OP
OP
T

tylr_am

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, what kind of fish do you have in there? In general your original 8 fish was probably too many to have in a 20 gallon tank. 4-5 in a 20 g tank is plenty and you definitely should never have had a lionfish or puffer fish which I saw in a previous post of yours. I’m not trying to be the fish police here, but poor husbandry could very well be your problem. They could just be killing each other because they are overcrowded depending on the species.
Yea I got those fish as baby’s and grew them up the resold them they haven’t been in there for a few months I currently have a scooter blenny and starry blenny and a clownfish and they all sort of just stay in one spot all day with fast breathing

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Would it maybe help if I treat with ruby reef pro and kick ich I’ve been doing research about the symptoms and it said that may help do you think it’s worth a try?
No kich-ich, it does not work despite claims from manufacturer

OP
OP
T

tylr_am

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think treating with ruby reef pro and kick ich could help because I looked up the symptoms and there were a lot of recommendations for that.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
What about ruby reef pro?
Yes you can but it treats many ailments other than ich and slow with velvet IF present
I top off with the fish store water and the fish store makes it there and the tank is usually 72-76
Bump to range 77-78 deg and assure salinity is not elevated as well as ammonia tested with reliable kits

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you top off with saltwater? Do you check the salinity? If you top off with saltwater, salinity will just keep going up.

OP
OP
T

tylr_am

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you can but it treats many ailments other than ich and slow with velvet IF present

Bump to range 77-78 deg and assure salinity is not elevated as well as ammonia tested with reliable kits
What water test kit would you recommend also just remembered that the fish have also stopped eating I think they might be goners

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
What water test kit would you recommend also just remembered that the fish have also stopped eating I think they might be goners
Hanna or Salifert brand

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds to me like

1- revolving door of fish
2 - extremely overstocked
3 - poor aeration (and maybe flow?)
4 - questionable water quality

I don't know what is killing your fish and not to be judgmental, but it doesn't sound like you are giving these fish much of a chance.

The revolving door of fish is going to bring in disease. The overstocking and assumed less then ideal water conditions are likely causing stress and reduced immune response.

I would (honestly) take a step back and re-evaluate the entire setup. Air bubblers don't do a lot for aeration. They can help, but flow and surface agitation promote gas exchange. Reduce the number of fish to a few small species that are not active swimmers. If you can't QT fish, then consider only purchasing fish from QT vendors.

Formulator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m confused, do you make your own saltwater or does the fish store make it? If the fish store makes the water and then you use it for top off, your salinity is going to skyrocket in a 20 gallon tank.

If it is a pathogen of some kind, you are at an advantage not having corals or inverts. My suggestion is to dose the water with API general cure and make up some medicated food with seachem metroplex and kanaplex. There is a good simple write up on making the food here:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/my-ez-medicated-frozen-fish-food-recipe.801883/

It would be a good idea to run some carbon and do a water change before starting since you already dosed prazi.

CKW

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Set up a 10 gal QT tank, treat then reset your display tank. Monitor water parameters closely. Re-cycle if necessary.
Don’t reintroduce your animals until the display tank is ready.

OP
OP
T

tylr_am

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds to me like

1- revolving door of fish
2 - extremely overstocked
3 - poor aeration (and maybe flow?)
4 - questionable water quality

I don't know what is killing your fish and not to be judgmental, but it doesn't sound like you are giving these fish much of a chance.

The revolving door of fish is going to bring in disease. The overstocking and assumed less then ideal water conditions are likely causing stress and reduced immune response.

I would (honestly) take a step back and re-evaluate the entire setup. Air bubblers don't do a lot for aeration. They can help, but flow and surface agitation promote gas exchange. Reduce the number of fish to a few small species that are not active swimmers. If you can't QT fish, then consider only purchasing fish from QT vendors.
I only have 3 fish currently

OP
OP
T

tylr_am

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m confused, do you make your own saltwater or does the fish store make it? If the fish store makes the water and then you use it for top off, your salinity is going to skyrocket in a 20 gallon tank.

If it is a pathogen of some kind, you are at an advantage not having corals or inverts. My suggestion is to dose the water with API general cure and make up some medicated food with seachem metroplex and kanaplex. There is a good simple write up on making the food here:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/my-ez-medicated-frozen-fish-food-recipe.801883/

It would be a good idea to run some carbon and do a water change before starting since you already dosed prazi.
I top off with fresh water and the fish store makes the saltwater and fresh I’ll try those medications

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 38 19.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 143 74.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.7%
Back