Anyone ever thought of collecting sea water and filling a tank with it?

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the difference if you've done both? Pros and cons?
Natural Seawater - no mixing, but you have to go collect it. Depending on where, you may have to filter, etc. You don't get elevated trace/major elements, meaning that you MUST dose (if you are not doing near 100% water changes).

Natural Retail Seawater - you have to buy it, you don't have to filter but you still need to dose trace and major elements as above.

Salt Mix - you have to buy it and mix it. You get higher ion/trace to compensate for depletion, but likely still have to dose in most systems.

It is just water - depending on your location and tools at hand, etc. there may be more pros and cons.

The take away is that both NSW and SSW are viable for captive reefs and FO aquariums.

LeesMarines

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here down under (in Australia if you're unsure of that term) it's very common and also quite a few aquarium stores will sell ready to go seawater which is delivered to the stores by a few different collectors. The majority of the water guys go to a nice clean (usually deep inlet) part of the ocean where they can park the truck and run a large pump a little offshore ready to go and to fill up their trucks for delivery back to the stores. My local aquarium store sells ocean water @ 29c (AUD) per litre currently. Naturally this water should never be collected near cities/heavily used areas or the surface to avoid pollutants and pretty sure the guys collecting even test the water before it's taken to make sure it is good to use. Many people who have marine tanks and live near the ocean front simply do water changes with water from the ocean. I also think it's no coincidence that most large breeding facilities for marine fish are located right on the oceans doorstep after all having access to endless fresh ocean water would make it very easy to maintain large healthy systems.

Last edited:

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But then there's some things to consider. Collecting the seawater could contain parasites, pathogens, and pollutants that can hitch a ride on your "free" water, harming our fish.
Also, the Ocean is Inconsistent! Salinity and other parameters fluctuate depending on location, tide, and even the weather. Keeping a stable environment is key for happy fish.
There's also some microscopic missing pieces. While some beneficial bacteria might be there, it might not be the exact crew we need for our tanks to thrive.

Now, some experienced aquarists might collect ocean water from specific areas (clean, offshore, high tide) but that requires testing, filtration, and a deep understanding of what they're doing.

Sure, reefers in the past managed without the tools we have today, but their success rates were probably lower. For us, pre-made saltwater and proper tank maintenance are a recipe for success.
So, what do you all think? Anyone have experience with ocean water in their tanks?
As I said 54 years no issues yet and I have no concern about hitchikers or parasites. Just this morning I collected amphipods here on a very rocky beach.

I lift the muddy rocks and shake them in a bucket of seawater. At home I remove much of the mud and seaweed but the rest including all the bacteria, amphipods, hitchikers or parasites go right into my tank.

To me all that stuff is why my fish seem to be immune from just about everything and have been for decades.

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I use it for every tank water change and setting them up . Only thing I look out for is different salinity readings due to rain or no rain but I have never had a problem. When collecting watch out for land run off avoid them areas

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But, Using Pre-Mixed Saltwater we are guaranteed that Saltwater mixes provide consistent salinity, alkalinity, and other crucial elements for a healthy tank. We're Reducing Risk! Reputable brands test their products to minimize unwanted hitchhikers.

There are no guarantees. More than once, vendors have replaced salt mix that I purchased because it wasn't mixing to the levels reported on the bucket.

Also, hitchhikers don't come from salt mix, but from live rock.

LeesMarines

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm an aquarium industry worker and if you ask me it's actually easier to to have a marine tank up and running quickly if you use fresh ocean water and a bunch of live rock (live rock naturally has its positives and negatives depending on your requirements but it's nature's bioload and natural filter ready to go)..all you're doing is moving mother nature straight into your glass box! I always compare it to a healthy rock pool at the shoreline ..maintain a healthy balanced ecosystem and let your water changes be that fresh wave rolling in...

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my water station never let me down
IMG_0549.jpeg

LeesMarines

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the difference if you've done both? Pros and cons?
Personal opinion but I'd take a healthy sourced natural seawater over premix any day...to me it's like comparing a frozen burger to one made fresh..it's the same thing just different ways of getting there and the natural one when healthy and fresh is always the better option...you're just trying to recreate the same thing anyway with your salt mix right so ??...positives for using premix though is the ability to make usable water at home...the majority of people in the hobby don't have easy access to a healthy ocean water source and it can definitely be more convenient in a lot of cases...I'm not near the ocean so I'm a fan of having premix ready to go in a nice large drum or bin with a pump running permanently to circulate the water continuously along with some nice critter free live rock in the bottom as well...so it's getting some time to stabilise and some of nature's filter before its added to a tank or system.

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good location; away from commercial shipping.
Yep you couldn’t get more out of the way and the water is very clear so really I am lucky if I had problems with the nsw I would go back to mixing salt . In winter it can be a bit cold but I have stored it before but I am always concerned when it’s sat for a month or more with no movement so I just get in my jeep with two drums and pick it up

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep you couldn’t get more out of the way and the water is very clear so really I am lucky if I had problems with the nsw I would go back to mixing salt . In winter it can be a bit cold but I have stored it before but I am always concerned when it’s sat for a month or more with no movement so I just get in my jeep with two drums and pick it up

You could store it; just circulate and use an air stone.

What is the salinity at your source?

Here, my beach is right by the harbor. So the water is crowded with commercial shipping and the contamination associated with such ships. Also, because it is the mouth of the harbor, you have fresh water from the East and Hudson rivers pouring in, so the water is more "brackish" and would require the addition of salt.

I imagine you are dosing when using NSW?

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5 micron sediment filter plus UV likely removes much of whats bad although Ultrafiltration which filters down to 0.25 microns which remove pesticides. Alternative is 35% food grade hydrogen peroxide which will kill all pathogens. Don't recall the ratio but probably around 300 ppm. If you then run that water through the UV then hydroxyls will be formed which will sterilize that saltwater. All theory based on science as I've yet deploy any of this but will be running on every new build except perhaps the ultrafiltration as I'm likely not needing that post adding the peroxide to the tank, letting that run 24 hours then turning on the UV until the peroxide dissipates. Test strips available to confirm the amount present. Sodium Percarbonate the powdered option for peroxide. It's Soda Ash plus peroxide. Don't know the exact amount of soda ash therefore one needs to consider the amount of sodium added and potentially adjust for it with calcium chloride plus Part C to correct the salinity.

Not all tap the same and same goes for saltwater. I'd be more incline to use SW off Miami some 25 miles offshore in the Gulf Stream then straight from the Miami River although I recall Julian Sprung mentioned in an interview he does the 5 or 10 micron plus UV. Where I got that from. Were hauling 200 gallons from offshore feasible, I'd go that route. That water devoid of nutrients and likely most man-made issues. Although trusting latter these days likely not wise. I'll still perform the UV peroxide treatment. Seems the easiest way to sterilize a tank void of life, obviously.

Not sure how this reacts with other elements therefore swim at your own risk and always good to research and confirm anything said on the internet. I might just be nothing more than a ChatGPT Bot :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could store it; just circulate and use an air stone.

What is the salinity at your source?

Here, my beach is right by the harbor. So the water is crowded with commercial shipping and the contamination associated with such ships. Also, because it is the mouth of the harbor, you have fresh water from the East and Hudson rivers pouring in, so the water is more "brackish" and would require the addition of salt.

I imagine you are dosing when using NSW?
Can vary salinity due to rain or no rain any thing from 1.018 to1.028 . I once tested the water from the place above and I found that everything came in correct level only a tiny and I mean a tiny trace of nitrate but calcium magnesium alkalinity were bang on I don’t even test it anymore always keep an eye on my tanks and if I see something looking unhealthy I test . But half the reason is I went down the Hannah route and I hate buying regnant lol . As far as storing it I have no power outside so it would just sit with no movement which concerns me over long periods

smitten with ocean life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is very interesting. i live like 5 min from the ocean here on the west cost. sure would be cheaper than buying salt... if my back can hold up to hauling it! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: ill see if i can get up the courage to try it!
Resized_20230423_192313_1717777033410.jpeg

Back