Anyone have experience with clown fish and sea horses in the same tank?

litenyaup

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have seen it. a friend of mine has a sea horse in a mixed reef....just have to make sure you put the food right in front of it.

the tank is a 240 gallon custom built tank....there are 3 tangs, 2 clowns, 10 anthias, wrasses, etc. he has a lot of fish!

rosebud161616

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a good idea. Clownfish are fast moving and can quickly stress seahorses out. As the clownfish get older, they get very territorial. This can lead to aggression and the seahorse would quickly lose. You will probably have others say they have done it, but it's highly recommended that you do not add clownfish as tank mates.

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes is possible,but they can eat all the sea horses food,not a good choice IMO.

Thanks

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had seahorses with a goby..and the seahorses had a tough time eating...iw ouldnt do it,but if you did,like said above, u will have to hand feed them

Acropolis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's pain as it is to keep seahorses, but if you are up for a greater challenge go for it. just have a big enough tank so there can be a sufficient amount of copepods and amphipods with maybe a fuge. actually as far as fish go clowns might make great tank mates since they tend to anchor to their anemones like horses do to gorgonians and the like. clowns also wait around for food just like horses. gooo for it.

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sea horses do best in a species only tank or with like inhabitants like pipefish. They are poor swimmers and do not do well with a lot of current. They are not very aggressive hunters and if there is too much competition for food they won't get there share and starve. And depending on what type of sea horse you get they can be more sensitive to to stinging animals like hydroids (dwarf sea horses for instance). I'm no expert, I've just thought about setting up a small tank for some dwarf sea horses. They're like guppies

That being said when I set up my first tank (a 55g with not much flow at all) I had one of those brown one you see at the LFS all the time. The wife like it and I bought it doing no research at all. Surprisingly he did well for a few months until I upgraded to a 72bow with more flow and more corals and he died. In my ignorance I did just about everything wrong at that time before I found some online forums and got some good info from fellow reefers.

OP
OP
firereef

firereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thx. I'll go another route. Don't wanna take the chance.

I'm getting ready to build a new nano and still contemplating on which route I should take... Fish only or mini reef.

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well here is what I would do,I would get some Dwarf Horses mabye depending on the size of the tank,maybe erectus,and have a softy tank with horses,and you can have some SPS in with horses to like Montipora Cap's,when having sea horses are limited to some things,but not ever thing,polyps,kenya tree,toro tree,Leathers,and most common,Xeina and Mushrooms.

You can have a really cool little tank with all soft corals and horses,you would have to have some gorg's in there for them to hol onto,but they are nice to have anyway,they add height to the tank and alot of color!

Good luck!

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont be an idiot and put a lobo in their tho..............it ate 2 seahorses,wow!

But softies and some neat macro could make a cool nano tank!

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL,Kelby a Lobo with sea horses...LOL,sorry,but like you said,they will eat them.

Anything with feeders or anything that has tentecals that are stronger than a polyp are not safe for Horses at all.

Once again,good luck!

OP
OP
firereef

firereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I wanted a non photosynthetic tank after alot of thinking last night. I wanted This tank to be barebottom and to somehow have the light shine through the bottom of the tank inside the tank. That way I'll have a clean rimless look with absolutely no wires at all. What do you all think and can you give me some nonphotosynthetic coral options?

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice idea,I bet your best bet would be to go with a glass table top and put LEDs under the glass for lighting.

You can do some gorg's,dendros,black dendros,and maybe some carnations in there of your choice,Im not a NPS expert,I know some about it,but In no expert.

Good luck!

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Arent some gargonians non photosynthetic? some1 correct me if im wrong

Sponges, sun corals will prop eat seahorses if you got seahorses..if not sun corals

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some gorg's are not a light needing animal.

I dont know how big your tank is,but sun corals can be in a tank with horses,a local lady has them in her tank,I think if you had dwarfs,dont even get suns,but erectus MIGHT be okay.

OP
OP
firereef

firereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is 15x15x24 tall, I wanted a anemone tank with a clown pair but the lighting from under the tank was an important look for me.

Back