Baffle Removal Waterbox Sump

bcarl77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am considering removing the baffles from my Waterbox sump and moving the divider over in order to fit a Clarisea Gen2 attached to the drain. Any reason why I shouldn’t do it? Any tips for reinstalling the one baffle or removing the others?

6d4b98b1b6257133603bcdef3b0da2ed.jpg

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see any reason why you couldn't/shouldn't move it where you want it. I didn't like any sump/refugium I saw so I just had a local glass supply house cut 3/8" glass to the size I wanted and made my own.

That glass doesn't look too thick, so you'll need to be very careful when trying to remove the old baffles.

Use RTV silicone when you install the one in it's new location. I get it from Graingers:
https://www.google.com/search?q=gra...hrome.0.0l6.6993j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

OP
OP
bcarl77

bcarl77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see any reason why you couldn't/shouldn't move it where you want it. I didn't like any sump/refugium I saw so I just had a local glass supply house cut 3/8" glass to the size I wanted and made my own.

That glass doesn't look too thick, so you'll need to be very careful when trying to remove the old baffles.

Use RTV silicone when you install the one in it's new location. I get it from Graingers:
https://www.google.com/search?q=gra...hrome.0.0l6.6993j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Thanks for the link. Shouldn’t I be able to cut the silicone with a razor blade to remove the old baffles?

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely. But if the baffle is a tight fit, getting the blade in between the baffle edge and the side glass could be a bit tricky. That's why I said to be careful. And that assumes the baffle is set in silicone rather than just edge sealed. Also, really, REALLY, clean off the old silicone before you re-install it. New silicone doesn't stick well to old silicone.

Saisori

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Their silicon job is top notch. Like Ron said getting a blade in there will be pretty tricky without scratches.

reef-rc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to remove the first baffle but I am not able to get the blade in between it on both the bottom side edge and one of the side edge. I am able to cleanly get the blade on one side of the baffle, just not bottom or the opposite and it's preventing me from removing the baffle.

Do you have any suggestions?

I have tried with the blade many times. There just is not any space for a blade or fishline to be put in there. I even tried hot air with a hair dryer on the edge but that did not seem to loosen the silicone at all.

Help would be greatly appreciated!

reef-rc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The secret tool is a strong fishing line. Works great once I picked up some from Academy. I should have tried this the first time and avoid the frustration and time waster with a razor blade.

Awesome Dennis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Braided fishing line and a pair of gloves, slide the line in wrap around the gloves and give it a saw motion on the silicone.

Alemoki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alternatively, use an old tape measure and gloves. The tape measure is very thin and very strong. Obviously I'm referring to a metal tape measure and be aware it won't be usable afterwards.

Best of luck!

Awesome Dennis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did this on my SCA sump and it cut through like Butta! Then just clean glass with razor blade and rubbing alcohol.

Johnny Stecchino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to remove the first baffle but I am not able to get the blade in between it on both the bottom side edge and one of the side edge. I am able to cleanly get the blade on one side of the baffle, just not bottom or the opposite and it's preventing me from removing the baffle.

Do you have any suggestions?

I have tried with the blade many times. There just is not any space for a blade or fishline to be put in there. I even tried hot air with a hair dryer on the edge but that did not seem to loosen the silicone at all.

Help would be greatly appreciated!

I suggest instead of a fishing line, a guitar string. Go to a music store and get the 6th string counting from the top (E string). It is as thin as a fishing line but a lot sturdier and cuts like a blade.

Cable

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The secret tool is a strong fishing line. Works great once I picked up some from Academy. I should have tried this the first time and avoid the frustration and time waster with a razor blade.
You just saved me lol. Thought I was going to crack the glass using a Razer until I found this suggestion.

Back