Blue tang appears to have scratch itself

DustinDec

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in the process of moving everything over to a much larger Red Sea s 500 tank. I left the old sand, handful of rocks, heater, one Nero 3, return pump, and light. But I just checked up, and my Blue Tang has white marks all over her head. I’m thinking she scratched herself while trying to hide out of stress. I did a quick handful of tests, any ideas?

Ph: 8
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
Solidity: 35

I did a larger water change yesterday, about 30% so I could pull that water into the new tank.

The new tank is still heating and I bought another heater, but I’m uncertain when it’ll be here, maybe a few days. I could put her in a fresh mix of saltwater within a 5g bucket, but I think that won’t accomplish much. She has been in this tank for 2 - 3 months. If I stay away from the tank, she seems to be okay and stress free. Thoughts on what I should do here?

IMG_5743.jpeg IMG_5738.jpeg IMG_5742.jpeg IMG_5739.jpeg

OP
OP
DustinDec

DustinDec

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not recall seeing it yesterday. The other side is also scratched, but not nearly as bad. I’ll try to get more pictures.

Note: I just realized there is a forum section for this type of issue. I did just make another post there.

OP
OP
DustinDec

DustinDec

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• IMG_5751.mov
    38.9 MB
  • IMG_5750.jpeg
    IMG_5750.jpeg
    192.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_5749.jpeg
    IMG_5749.jpeg
    208 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_5748.jpeg
    IMG_5748.jpeg
    216.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_5747.jpeg
    IMG_5747.jpeg
    152.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_5744.jpeg
    IMG_5744.jpeg
    199.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_5743.jpeg
    IMG_5743.jpeg
    202.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_5745.jpeg
    IMG_5745.jpeg
    190.6 KB · Views: 7
OP
OP
DustinDec

DustinDec

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking into HLLE, it does seem possible. The only carbon I have is Chemi-Pure blue filtration media in that tank, which to be fair could be replaced at this point. But I didn't believe that could cause the problem.

As for nutrition, I've been feeding a mix of Ocean Nutrition Formula One flakes, and Saltwater Multi-pack four varieties of food. Although I've not given them any frozen food in the past few days (I'm out of my routine) wondering if that would be enough to cause this.

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in the process of moving everything over to a much larger Red Sea s 500 tank. I left the old sand, handful of rocks, heater, one Nero 3, return pump, and light. But I just checked up, and my Blue Tang has white marks all over her head. I’m thinking she scratched herself while trying to hide out of stress. I did a quick handful of tests, any ideas?

I did a larger water change yesterday, about 30% so I could pull that water into the new tank.

The new tank is still heating and I bought another heater, but I’m uncertain when it’ll be here, maybe a few days. I could put her in a fresh mix of saltwater within a 5g bucket, but I think that won’t accomplish much. She has been in this tank for 2 - 3 months. If I stay away from the tank, she seems to be okay and stress free. Thoughts on what I should do here?

IMG_5743.jpeg IMG_5738.jpeg IMG_5742.jpeg IMG_5739.jpeg
Looks like it could possibly be HLLE to me. You need vetteguy and JAy Hemdal for sure.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking into HLLE, it does seem possible. The only carbon I have is Chemi-Pure blue filtration media in that tank, which to be fair could be replaced at this point. But I didn't believe that could cause the problem.

As for nutrition, I've been feeding a mix of Ocean Nutrition Formula One flakes, and Saltwater Multi-pack four varieties of food. Although I've not given them any frozen food in the past few days (I'm out of my routine) wondering if that would be enough to cause this.
Unlikely to be a cause or solution to your current problem, but you definitely want to feed nori to your tang as well. Here's some footage of mine...

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unlikely to be a cause or solution to your current problem, but you definitely want to feed nori to your tang as well. Here's some footage of mine...

Agreed! MY Naso tears up nori every day. It's like he can't get enough of it.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#fishmedic

Pics have some weird oversaturation going on. Can you take a pic in white light without filters?

OP
OP
DustinDec

DustinDec

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check your water params - dirty water is one of the potential causes.
I ran a quick round of testing, everything is in the norm.

Yesterday I took out 30% of the water to put in the new tank, and replaced it with freshly mixed saltwater.

Back