Bought Carib Sea Live Ocean Direct

hrdneglcry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I bought this at the local fish store. Wanted to know if anyone else uses it. In the past it seems like I got some with a used tank before. The problem that I had with it was that when I tried to vacuum the substrate much of this sand ended up in the bucket.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I bought this at the local fish store. Wanted to know if anyone else uses it. In the past it seems like I got some with a used tank before. The problem that I had with it was that when I tried to vacuum the substrate much of this sand ended up in the bucket.
I keep one hand on the siphon hose and pinch/kink it as I get in danger of sucking up what I don't want.

OP
OP
H

hrdneglcry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you used the bery fine sand? With regular aragonite I barely pull any into the bucket. There is some. But with the fine it come almost as fast as the sludge

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you used the bery fine sand? With regular aragonite I barely pull any into the bucket. There is some. But with the fine it come almost as fast as the sludge
Can't say I have.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ocean Direct has 2 grades... Bahamas Oolite, and Original Grade... You might get end up with a bunch in the bucket with the Oolite, the regular grade, not so much...

OP
OP
H

hrdneglcry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I bought the Oolite. I was happy with the price. I wish they would have had regular grade. How do people clean this Oolite sand during the aquarium's life? There are people who love this style too. I have used this before. My tank already had 40 pounds of Special Grade Carib Sea Aragonite and maybe 70 pounds of crushed coral on the bottom. When I last had Oolite I added crushed coral to help some.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I bought the Oolite. I was happy with the price. I wish they would have had regular grade. How do people clean this Oolite sand during the aquarium's life? There are people who love this style too. I have used this before. My tank already had 40 pounds of Special Grade Carib Sea Aragonite and maybe 70 pounds of crushed coral on the bottom. When I last had Oolite I added crushed coral to help some.
Very carefully, use a vacuum with a good thumb operated valve... The good news is, even if you have sand in the bucket, you can give it a quick rinse and put it back in the tank...

OP
OP
H

hrdneglcry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very carefully, use a vacuum with a good thumb operated valve... The good news is, even if you have sand in the bucket, you can give it a quick rinse and put it back in the tank...
This is very pretty sand though. Now I kind of wish I had more. When rhe water clears 100% it will look nice.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 38 19.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 143 74.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.7%
Back