Calcium Reactor with Kamoe FX-STP2 , pull or push?

125mph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the recommended way to set up the Calcium reactor with the Kamoe FX-STP2?

I was under the impression I use the FX-STP2 to feed the calcium reactor but then I saw someone using the fx-stp2 to pull the affluent into the tank. If I use it as a pull, then what feeds the calcium reactor?

What is the recommended route ?

MikeYasin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What is the recommended way to set up the Calcium reactor with the Kamoe FX-STP2?

I was under the impression I use the FX-STP2 to feed the calcium reactor but then I saw someone using the fx-stp2 to pull the affluent into the tank. If I use it as a pull, then what feeds the calcium reactor?

What is the recommended route ?
Your source line should sit in the sump with a filter, then a rodi check valve and will connect to the “in” or source for the CARx. Kamoer will connect to the “out” and this pulls the effluent out of the reactor and into your tank.

OP
OP
125mph

125mph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What filter do you use for the source line? And why is the check valve necessary, to prevent the calcium water to spill back into the tank?

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either way works. That said, my experience with the fxstp and pulling was that the reducing barb fittings at the pump clog over time and the tubing also gets buildup and needs to be changed more often. With pushing the tubing, fittings, etc stay spotless with zero clogging and require much less in maintenance. Just my personal experience.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pull with mine and have no issues. No ph probe or controller.
Set bubble count and let the Kamoer do the rest.
20240507_062107.jpg

MikeYasin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What filter do you use for the source line? And why is the check valve necessary, to prevent the calcium water to spill back into the tank?

I use a simple automotive fuel filter that is transparent and outfitted with john guest fittings. Yes, the check valve is to prevent a reverse siphon. make sure its a rodi check valve - other check valves need a stronger pull to open,

OP
OP
125mph

125mph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I just set it up to pull.. CAx is airtight... Source goes into sump, then connected to the CAx... the effluent of the CAx goes into input of the Kamoe, and then the output of the Kanmoe goes into tank..

Yet, its doing nothing.. Doe it take time to suck out all the air in the CAx before it will pull water?

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I just set it up to pull.. CAx is airtight... Source goes into sump, then connected to the CAx... the effluent of the CAx goes into input of the Kamoe, and then the output of the Kanmoe goes into tank..

Yet, its doing nothing.. Doe sit take time to suck out all the air in the CAx before it will pull water?
It can take awhile. Turn up the Kamoer to 70mlm then when it starts producing effluent you can adjust it down.

OP
OP
125mph

125mph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm , running for 10 minutes and not a single drop of water into the CAx? How long should it take?

OP
OP
125mph

125mph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I'm doing something incorrectly.. I just put the Kamoe input directly in the tank, and then put the output into the tank.. I turn it on, I see the thing spin... but no water is being pushed..

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Maybe I'm doing something incorrectly.. I just put the Kamoe input directly in the tank, and then put the output into the tank.. I turn it on, I see the thing spin... but no water is being pushed..
Any check valve in the line? If the line is not obstructed on either side and the rollers are compressing the tube it should move liquid. Check pump tube for cracks but you’d still usually see something moving

Does it move water if you remove from reactor and test with a short piece of tube with the intake in a cup of water?

OP
OP
125mph

125mph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just found out I had to move the white thing on the doser... never seen this in the instructions:

kamoer-png.1968914

OP
OP
125mph

125mph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so now that I know the Kamoer is working.. I plug back into the CAx... Does the CAx need to be fully filled with water or can there be air in it (80% filled).

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so now that I know the Kamoer is working.. I plug back into the CAx... Does the CAx need to be fully filled with water or can there be air in it (80% filled).
are you just talking about letting the doser fill the reactor or actually operating the reactor?

OP
OP
125mph

125mph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Letting the doser fill the reactor. I filled the reactor 80% of the way with RODI water.. Can't fill the rest... I'm trying to let the doser fill the rest but the so far nothing is happening. Been about 15 minutes. Maybe just keep waiting.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Letting the doser fill the reactor. I filled the reactor 80% of the way with RODI water.. Can't fill the rest... I'm trying to let the doser fill the rest but the so far nothing is happening. Been about 15 minutes. Maybe just keep waiting.
Yeah it only pumps so much. Even maxed out it will take a while. For filling I wouldn’t turn on the circ pump (or co2) until it’s full and all the air is out. Just my opinion of course

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peristaltic pumps do better pushing than pulling.

Think about it this way, when you pull water you're creating low pressure inside the rubber hose. Normally that wouldn't be an issue except when you ask the pump to pull through the reactor, you're creating a lot of negative pressure that can pinch or even collapse the peristaltic tube.

At that point your rotor is spinning but fluid can't flow.

Pushing fluid on the other hand, is well within the wheelhouse for a peristaltic pump.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just found out I had to move the white thing on the doser... never seen this in the instructions:

kamoer-png.1968914
That adjustment sets the pumps occlusion. The pic on the right is the correct configuration.

Having the ability to fine tune the occlusion requires one to know how to set it.

Too tight and you prematurely wear out the rollers and peri tube and also lower the pumps efficiency.

Too loose and you no longer have a positive displacement pump and subject to back siphoning.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The input to the calcium reactor goes in the sump.
The input to the Kamoer goes to the output of the calcium reactor pulling the solution through. Fill the reactor to as close to full as you can get.
Check your setup and your good to go

OP
OP
125mph

125mph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I changed it to push hold and it seem to work fine. For some reason, in pull mode, it just did nothing.. Maybe I had too much air in the CAx.

Thanks for all the help!

Last edited:
Back