can a carbon/gfo reactor (brs one) be used with a skimmer?

ChrisfromBrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this encouraged and supported? Back when i was in the hobby gfo and carbon reactors didn’t exist. Sorry in advance if this is a silly question.

Skimmer is working well but my water is slightly foggy and NO3 and P03 is 50 and.59, respectively. Tank is new but cycled. Not a huge bioload by any means. 69g.

No algae of any alarming type yet, just the normal slight ugly phase. I want to get in front of this before it gets worse.

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, a lot of reefers run carbon and GFO. Be careful about stripping out nutrients. Definitely test for phosphate often. Run ICP tests when possible. Don’t forget that you can run them intermittently on a timer. That way you don’t bottom out your nutrients.

OP
OP
ChrisfromBrick

ChrisfromBrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, a lot of reefers run carbon and GFO. Be careful about stripping out nutrients. Definitely test for phosphate often. Run ICP tests when possible. Don’t forget that you can run them intermittently on a timer. That way you don’t bottom out your nutrients.
thanks! great idea with timer.

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks! great idea with timer.
I got the idea from Jen Neis of New Wave Aquaria. I use a Kasa smart strip with one “ON” time and several OFF times. So when GFO is new it runs only one hour per night. But as PO4 starts to creep higher then change the off time.
Good luck
And yes, there is a skimmer running as well

OP
OP
ChrisfromBrick

ChrisfromBrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i mean, have a protein skimmer running while you have this reactor running. Isn’t overkill in that sense?

OP
OP
ChrisfromBrick

ChrisfromBrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea so my understanding is the reactor removes No3 and PO4 rapidly in the water column while the skimmer removes waste before it has a chance to build up those values.

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back