Can someone please help identify this type of algae

shawn95id

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 2 year old tank that looks amazing in the morning but by the end of the day each day is covered (not entirely but enough to be discouraging) in a brown-tinted algae of some type that I can’t identify or can’t seem to eradicate. My nitrates are at 2 and my phosphates are at .06. (Trying to slowly bring my nitrates up by dosing a nitrate additive.) I’m doing 10% water changes every 2 weeks with 0 tds RODI water. Any help would be appreciated!

IMG_8404.jpeg IMG_8405.jpeg

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have a 2 year old tank that looks amazing in the morning but by the end of the day each day is covered (not entirely but enough to be discouraging) in a brown-tinted algae of some type that I can’t identify or can’t seem to eradicate. My nitrates are at 2 and my phosphates are at .06. (Trying to slowly bring my nitrates up by dosing a nitrate additive.) I’m doing 10% water changes every 2 weeks with 0 tds RODI water. Any help would be appreciated!

IMG_8404.jpeg IMG_8405.jpeg
I think that since the sand is clean in the morning and then browning by the end of the day this points to dinos. Hopefully others with more experience with this will weigh in soon.

OP
OP
S

shawn95id

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that since the sand is clean in the morning and then browning by the end of the day this points to dinos. Hopefully others with more experience with this will weigh in soon.
That would make sense. I initially ruled that out because I naively thought dynos were a “new tank” problem but on further research it seems likely that’s what it is. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Maybe my nitrate value of 2 is causing this. Or my recent chemiclean blast of a cyano outbreak. Man this hobby can be frustrating at times!

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
That would make sense. I initially ruled that out because I naively thought dynos were a “new tank” problem but on further research it seems likely that’s what it is. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Maybe my nitrate value of 2 is causing this. Or my recent chemiclean blast of a cyano outbreak. Man this hobby can be frustrating at times!
It certainly can be!!!! Chemiclean can certainly do it. And yes, raising nutrients a bit should help.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 39 19.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 147 74.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.5%
Back