Clownfish aggression

luca10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I recently started my tank 1 month ago, and once cycled I added two juvenile, captive bred ocellaris clownfish from my LFS (one black and white one, one gladiator). The black and white one was slightly bigger, and was instantly more aggressive/dominant towards the gladiator. I know that some dominance testing is normal, and the smaller gladiator was cautious but swimming, exploring and eating normally.

However, 2 days ago, the gladiator started acting more stressed in response to getting attacked by the black and white more often and has given up eating. His appearance looks good but he just barely moves his fins to float in one spot of the tank, only moving when getting attacked or when the black and white one swims in its direction. I also added a pink spotted goby 1 week ago, but the gladiator was acting normal up until 2 days ago. Parameters: ammonia and nitrites are 0, temp 25 C, salinity at 35 ppt.

What can I do? Need advise.

image.jpg

Last edited:

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually have let my clowns battle it out as long as they are both okay and eating. If the smaller stopped eating I remove the aggressor and put them into a what I call a no no box (acclimation box) and let the other heal and try to re introduce

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 38 19.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 143 74.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.7%
Back