Clownfish possible disease // Dashing around the tank // heavy breathing and insanely fast sudden movements.

CrypticNitrogen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there,

I want to see if anybody here would be able to identify what's the status of my current Clownfish?

I purchase an wild caught Ocellaris clownfish a few days ago to pair with my captive-bred clownfish. Worked like a charm. But recently about 2 days ago, it started to behave very weird and started to make sudden fast movements around the tank. I fed her as much as I can and she only ate a little bit of food each time I fed her. She was eating a little bit but I was concerned about her health as she started to breathe heavily and stayed at the bottom of the tank whilst the male clownfish is just going around the tank like any other day. In addition to that, the clownfish started to dash around the tank insanely fast and seems to be very uncomfortable as she dives into the sand for a brief moment before diving back out. (I didn't catch that action on video but I managed to get the part where she suddenly made a fast movement)... At the moment, it seems very unknown to me what's happening to that clownfish and I need some answers on what is going on... I'll attach a video of the behavior and I hope you guys can help me out.... thank you.

My water parameters:

Size: 32 Gallons
Stock: 3 // x1 Firefish + x2 Clownfish
Salinity: 1.025
KH: 6
CA: 425
MG: 1290
Po4: 0.5
No3: Above 100

Honestly, I find the No3 and Po4 quite concerning from the tests I've done. It could greatly affect his behavior but at the moment I don't know...
The firefish is doing fine along with the male clownfish. I let the tank cycled for 4 weeks before putting anything in it.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there,

I want to see if anybody here would be able to identify what's the status of my current Clownfish?

I purchase an wild caught Ocellaris clownfish a few days ago to pair with my captive-bred clownfish. Worked like a charm. But recently about 2 days ago, it started to behave very weird and started to make sudden fast movements around the tank. I fed her as much as I can and she only ate a little bit of food each time I fed her. She was eating a little bit but I was concerned about her health as she started to breathe heavily and stayed at the bottom of the tank whilst the male clownfish is just going around the tank like any other day. In addition to that, the clownfish started to dash around the tank insanely fast and seems to be very uncomfortable as she dives into the sand for a brief moment before diving back out. (I didn't catch that action on video but I managed to get the part where she suddenly made a fast movement)... At the moment, it seems very unknown to me what's happening to that clownfish and I need some answers on what is going on... I'll attach a video of the behavior and I hope you guys can help me out.... thank you.

My water parameters:

Size: 32 Gallons
Stock: 3 // x1 Firefish + x2 Clownfish
Salinity: 1.025
KH: 6
CA: 425
MG: 1290
Po4: 0.5
No3: Above 100

Honestly, I find the No3 and Po4 quite concerning from the tests I've done. It could greatly affect his behavior but at the moment I don't know...
The firefish is doing fine along with the male clownfish. I let the tank cycled for 4 weeks before putting anything in it.
I'm sorry you are having these issues.

The first thing I would suspect any time a fish brushes against sand or rocks would be flukes. This can be easily confirmed if you can catch the fish and perform a fresh water dip.
Clowns are known for strange behavior and erratic swimming, but in this case I would at least try to catch it and perform the dip.

Alenya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear your clownfish is distressed

What’s your ammonia and pH at?
Did you cycle your tank?

At 4 weeks old your tank may be too new for a less tolerant wild fish. Heavy breathing might be a sign of ammonia poisoning.

Back