Controller fell in water

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very little most of it landed on the glass was able to wipe it up. It did come out where the power supply plugs in when I unplugged it. I just don’t know if It was leaching out while I was at work.
But I am curious, did you pull it out by the back wire or reach your hand in the water to get it? Im glad you were not shocked and I think you were very lucky that your fishies didnt get shocked either! How scary.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apologies if I offended the OP, It’s a catch 22. Look at prev post, I re-edit just in case we are dealing with minors and oftentimes indeed misspelling is a clue.
I honestly meant to advise caution, it was not a insult towards the OP

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And worse, you are talking about them right in front of their faces. Insanity.
…. This isn’t fair in my case as I was referring to another likely troll post and honestly pointing out this might be a minor. I was sincere. I am open if I got a problem with you; don’t hide behind “ignore list” nor pm my buddies …
And on almost EVERY post also re edit often 5x just not to accidentally offend. I don’t create enemies when none previously existed
100%, was a little surprised people thought that. I was curious about them being able to pull it out right away without being shocked. Im very glad OP wasnt shocked, that was my initial concern!
why? Sometimes low post count = troll.
Bad spelling could be minors or a demonic spell checker like mine.
I almost never come back to explain a post but sincerely the interest of minors is real
Apologies to the OP, the mods but my intentions were not bad

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But I am curious, did you pull it out by the back wire or reach your hand in the water to get it? Im glad you were not shocked and I think you were very lucky that your fishies didnt get shocked either! How scary.
The device in question is low voltage DC - it would not render a shock. If the device were 120vac, then grabbing it could be dangerous if it was still energized.

Unfortunately - sometimes we don't think before acting in "emergency" situations. As it were, not knowing if the device was energized or what voltage it was are not really relevant and the proper course of action of unknown would certainly be to unplug it first!

In any case, this brings up the point of GFCI protection. While nuisance trips can be deadly for the tank, the GFCIs job is to protect you and your family from shock or electrocution in situations just like this. I advise that people seriously consider using them on their aquariums.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am open if I got a problem with you; don’t hide behind “ignore list” nor pm my buddies …
I have not placed you on an ignore list or PM'd you or your buddies and don't have online "enemies". I am not hiding, but there is no need to belabor the conversation. Have a wonderful day and happy reefing.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not placed you on an ignore list or PM'd you or your buddies and don't have online "enemies". I am not hiding, but there is no need to belabor the conversation. Have a wonderful day and happy reefing.
Sounds sincere
and the take form at least two of you is that they are an insincere troll or an immature child
…Just thought I was one of the “two” you were referring to ….you are correct: no need to belabor the point, no worries… no enemies
..also admit, the delivery wasn’t ideal ….I am on record here about minors ….Pardon the deviation OP but can’t apologize enough

darrick001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would add something like tap water conditioner as it has the ability to bind and detoxify heavy metals. Your skimmer may react with excessive bubbling.

ptrusk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the device were 120vac, then grabbing it could be dangerous if it was still energized.
Meh 120 is nothing unless you clamp down on it. Then your muscles contract and you can't let go. 240 will knock you on your butt and make your teeth sing. Sorry to derail the thread, reminded me of my old Fender Plush amp with no ground and the times I played barefoot in the basement :anguished-face:

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Outside of the side conversation dissecting interpretation.

As BeanAnimal has said this is a low voltage DC device, no harm would come to the user by reaching into the water.

@boise brewer I'm quite familiar with the nero product and as you probably already learned, the circuit isn't protected from droping it in water.

You'll have to reach out to AI and see if they can sell you a new driver (they've done that for me in the past). Knowing that the plug sparked when disconnecting it suggests it's still good and that the only damage is the corrosion on the connector from what I assume is from electrolysis and being underwater. You might be able to clean up the plug on the power supply and re-use it.

Same would go for the male plug that connects the motor to the driver, you'll have to inspect that and clean any corrosion it has on the pins.

When dealing with heavy metal absorption from the water, there have already been plenty of great suggestions. I personally like metasorb from 2 little fishies. Just keep in mind that any thing you use will pull out more than just metals, so you'll have to be mindful of that. A couple big waterchanges after absorption can replenish the good elements that were removed.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Meh 120 is nothing unless you clamp down on it. Then your muscles contract and you can't let go. 240 will knock you on your butt and make your teeth sing. Sorry to derail the thread, reminded me of my old Fender Plush amp with no ground and the times I played barefoot in the basement :anguished-face:
Yes - nothing like polarity on an the guitar amp and mic amp being reversed. Polarized plugs are a thing for such reasons...

But jokes aside - 120, 240, 480, 575, it doesn't matter. It only takes a few mA through the heart to kill you. Different voltages have different issues with regard to contraction, burn, arc flash etc. Get whacked by the ring voltage on old copper telephones at 96V and it is enough to make your day bad. Mess around in the high voltage side of an old tv or tube amp and have a 1kV bad day, etc.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 39 19.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 146 74.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.6%
Back