Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
There are many options for gluing frags and broken pieces of coral. Often question is raised as to what is safe to use such as super glue, gorilla glue, coral glue and cement mix.
Some of the newest glues on the market are by Seachem, Ecotech, polyp Lab and Aquaforest. Most safe are use of using cyanoacrylate coral glue which hardens under water and has good adhesion.
Many of us resort to low cost super glue. These and gorilla gue is safe when cured and often not recommended to be placed in water when still wet

WHAT IS THE GLUE OF YOUR CHOICE AND WHY DID YOU CHOOSE IT??
Does this glue meet your expectations in regards to long term adhesion and safe for fish?

I in the past used gel super glue which is inert under water and went to BRS gel frag glue. I also use and have on Hand Bob Smiths IC-Gel Insta Cure which is an industry favorite. For larger pieces and hard to reach areas, I use Holdfast putty.

Keko21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I typically use the Seachem reefglue as its cheap and starts to cure after 20 second underwater. The biggest issue I have with it is that the aluminum tube it comes in is so fragile. I have had tubes just burst in my hand so many times....

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If money was no object it would be a sandwich of ecotech coral glue as the bun and tunze coral putty as the meat.

But im not rich so its a sandwhich of Gorilla blue gel as the bun and Ocean Wonders putty as the meat.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
BRS super glue, or gorilla glue gel. by far the best glue i've used was polyp lab. for some reason anything i'd glue with it would stick and not break off as easily as any other glues i've used.

ravila101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I typically use the Seachem reefglue as its cheap and starts to cure after 20 second underwater. The biggest issue I have with it is that the aluminum tube it comes in is so fragile. I have had tubes just burst in my hand so many times....
This happened to me one night and I had loads of glue on my hands

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely in the polyp lab glue and oceans wonder putty sandwich boat.

The Glue is awesome but eventually everything falls off, but when used together with putty, my success rate is way higher for long term attaching.

Jesss

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently use Seachem purple putty (Not a fan) this product seems to just crumble everywhere when you are trying to knead the product. If anyone has any good putty suggestions please let me know. I also use Gorilla gel glue.

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I like this glue and it dries fast.

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Currently use Seachem purple putty (Not a fan) this product seems to just crumble everywhere when you are trying to knead the product. If anyone has any good putty suggestions please let me know. I also use Gorilla gel glue.
Ive had great luck (about 15 years with Holdfast putty)

Keko21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fluval makes a good putty- doesnt stink as much as others, but it will make your skimmer go nuts for a minute.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like most, for things like frags to plugs I use the cheap gorilla super glue gel packs. For uneven surfaces I use putty. I recently tried the new DD putty and liked it as it was cheap, didn’t make my skimmer go berserkers, and held well while curing so I didn’t have to hold things together forever….. which if you’re like me and you hand tremors worse and worse, is fantastic! I used to bond the bejeezus out of rock work but if you’ve ever had to break anything down for whatever reason, it turns out to be a major pita.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found many different putties sometimes have one component that is hit or miss with being dried out and crumbling. I found that just a tiny bit of water splashed on your hands helps out a lot, not too much though or it becomes slimy.

paragrouper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I make a sandwich—Tunze and Gorilla
9121E11E-36BC-4296-AE7F-1B735A675264.jpeg

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also use the superglue putty sandwich method. For the superglue I use dollar tree super glue gel and for the putty I normally use JB Waterweld that I get from Walmart.

KevinC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BSI glue is better than BRS glue in my experience. I have been told it's the same glue, but honestly I do not think so after using a bottle. Mixture is more watery for the BRS bottle.

that and 2 little fishies epoxy is the most cost effective way in my opinion.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use woodworkers thick CA glue. The bottles are better, do not get as gummed up and it is easier to work with. Price is cheaper than reef-specific stuff, but more than generic in a bad, short-lived tube.

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a fan of gorilla glue gel. Readily available, thick and easy to work with and the cap has a pin to keep the tip from clogging. Probably the same or cheaper than coral banded glues.

Back