heartbroken

Icegirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to rehome my tankmates. The school did not realize I was serious that the tank can't be left with just automatic feeders for 2 months. Looked at all kinds of automation for top off and water changes, but that was too expensive and not feasible due to needing large reservoirs of water. Thanks for all your help in the forums. I'll be trying to figure out if there is any way to keep them, but it is unlikely. I'll be reaching out to a couple of schools to see if they will take them in. If anyone has any suggestions they are welcome

PanchoG

The Force will be with you. Always.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear this. Unfortunately no automation will take you full two month away. You would need someone to take care of the tank.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok looked through your posts and see you have a 55 Fowlr setup with two clowns and a gramma, a starfish, and some inverts. The starfish won’t survive in that tank. Needs to be established over a year minimum. Starfish should be rehomed or given back to LFS. They will slowly starve in that tank. They are ok now because they are finding food. But it will run out faster than it’s created. And one day the starfish will begin losing limbs or deteriorating. So. Starfish needs to go

That leaves us with 2 clowns and a gramma in a tank at school you will be away from for 3 months. Why don’t you setup a tank at your home? A 40 breeder is 36” and would be great for them, you can bring some live sand and rock home, get bottled bacteria to be safe, and skip cycle.

These go on sale at petco for $40 a few times a year. 130$ if not on sale.

No coral means you don’t need any fancy lighting. Some of your stuff in use now could be brought home too.

If 36” is to big you could put those fish and inverts in a bio cube 32 or a Waterbox 25 peninsula

OP
OP
Icegirl

Icegirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok looked through your posts and see you have a 55 Fowlr setup with two clowns and a gramma, a starfish, and some inverts. The starfish won’t survive in that tank. Needs to be established over a year minimum. Starfish should be rehomed or given back to LFS. They will slowly starve in that tank. They are ok now because they are finding food. But it will run out faster than it’s created. And one day the starfish will begin losing limbs or deteriorating. So. Starfish needs to go

That leaves us with 2 clowns and a gramma in a tank at school you will be away from for 3 months. Why don’t you setup a tank at your home? A 40 breeder is 36” and would be great for them, you can bring some live sand and rock home, get bottled bacteria to be safe, and skip cycle.

These go on sale at petco for $40 a few times a year. 130$ if not on sale.

No coral means you don’t need any fancy lighting. Some of your stuff in use now could be brought home too.

If 36” is to big you could put those fish and inverts in a bio cube 32 or a Waterbox 25 peninsula
Thank you, I have till end of June to figure something out. i will let you know.

My starfish has been nicknamed the dictator by the students. He is pretty aggressive when it comes to feeding. We actually feed him specifically with a baster first and the students love watching him catch the shrimp with his arms. But that is concerning I wonder why the LFS recommended he be part of the clean up. i will email them

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, I have till end of June to figure something out. i will let you know.

My starfish has been nicknamed the dictator by the students. He is pretty aggressive when it comes to feeding. We actually feed him specifically with a baster first and the students love watching him catch the shrimp with his arms. But that is concerning I wonder why the LFS recommended he be part of the clean up. i will email them

If you are feeding manually then you are ok. Some (many) people get them and expect them to survive by eating film on glass, algae, etc. and yes they will eat this. But generally they eat more than small/medium tanks produce, especially newer ones. Continue to feed and you would be ok. My apologies for making a false assumption without inquiring!

If you are open to the idea of a second tank at home, the best value around is the 40 breeder at petco. The you would bring a bunch of stuff home along with the livestock. The most convenient and smallest footprint would probably be the biocube, but would be a smaller tank for more money.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 38 19.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 143 74.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.7%
Back