Is there any alternative food for Copepods aside from phytoplankton?

Phoerut

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know if I want to go through the trouble of cultivating or buying phytoplankton, but I want to cultivate copepods. I wondered if there’s any dried food they will eat or an easier/cheap alternative?

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't answer your question unfortunately but welcome to R2R! There are lots of people here that can answer your question. I'm sure they will chime in soon.

R2R-Welcome3.jpg

Upvote 0

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
phyto works best for cultivating them, and by 'best' I mean reproduces the fastest with the least die-off.

But I've used a bunch of other bottled stuff, basically any kind of filter food will work. It dirties the water faster and not as much reproduction, but it works.

EDIT : phyto really is the cheapest because you can reproduce it yourself, its easy. You buy it once and you can keep it reproducing for about a year

Upvote 0

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am assuming you are referring to culturing them outside of the aquarium? If you just want to increase the population in an aquarium they should feed on detritus, algae, etc within the tank. Reef nutrition has a product called RGComplete that is very concentrated. I have used it for culturing copepods in the past. I know you said you did not want the hassle of buying phyto which this is similar to doing the same thing, but it is very concentrated and would not be needed to be bought frequently. Shipping is expensive but if you have an LFS that stocks Reef Nutrition i am sure they could get you some on their next order.

Having said that in my experience culturing phyto is extremely easy and requires a lot less time and hassle than culturing copepods I would still recommend just start a phyto culture.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Phoerut

Phoerut

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the suggestions guys! Gained some good info here. I had one other thought. My boyfriend has a koi pond, could I steal some green algae from his pond, dry it out, grind it up and feed it to the pods?

Upvote 0

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spirulina powder
Pure Hawaiian Spirulina - Powder 16 Ounce - Farm Grown in Hawaii since 1984 - Natural, Nutrient Rich Superfood - Immune Support, Detox & Energy – Vegan Complete Protein, Non-GMO

This bottle will last forever.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I don’t know if I want to go through the trouble of cultivating or buying phytoplankton, but I want to cultivate copepods. I wondered if there’s any dried food they will eat or an easier/cheap alternative?
Copepods mostly survive on algae, dead matter, and some bacterias. They love feding on detritus and phytoplankton which provides nutritious food forfish and coral. Some copepods can eat bacteria present on algae, shrimp,rotifers, and single-celled dinos.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
welcome16.gif

Upvote 0

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pod culture in a small dollarstore container is going strong off of clearance marine fish pellets.

I noticed more tiny baby ones with live phyto but I get lots of chonky ones with the pellets.

Upvote 0

reeftankdude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kinda new to the hobby. Whenever I add snails/CUC to my tank I also add bacteria for the new bio load. I could be wrong, but copepods will feed on bacteria in the water. It is now snowing in my tank. Time to add some fish.

Upvote 0

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are setting op a small tank for the pods, you might as well, just split the airline for a phytoculture. As the phytoculture isn't going directly to the tank you don't need to be overly concerned about leftover fertilizer, and phyto is very easy to make.
I started a few months ago breeding phyto and pods, and it dosn't take much effort once you get the hang of it.

Upvote 0

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any cheap sinking pellets will feed copepods.

By the way, this is a copepod.

Upvote 0
Back