It's A Lifestyle - 250g Peninsula

Joe Glass Cages

Passionate Glass Cages’s Team Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now the real building can begin! Need to get the floor put in the stand and then set everything in place to see how it all fits.

PXL_20220219_224448101.jpg
the EAGLE..... the Eagle has landed!

Looks amazing

OP
OP
rtparty

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Tell the kids, "No more playing baseball in the HOUSE!" :D

He uses the tank as a hitting net though! Joe said it was fine... ;Hilarious

In other news, plumbing and the 3rd halide has been ordered and I found out my good buddy is coming to visit for a few days within the next month!

Plans are to have this thing totally plumbed, FW tested, filling with saltwater, and some new rockwork done while he is here.

I'd also love to have the floating canopy in place so I can swap the halides over from my current 120.

Lots to get prepped now

OP
OP
rtparty

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Stock up for 10 or at least 5 years of bulbs to be safe

When the time comes, I will. Reef Brite has loads of bulbs still and will for a while. Plenty of bulbs still available from others as well.

At some point, I'll go back to LEDs. Giving them another 5-7 years can only be good.

OP
OP
rtparty

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Plumbing is rolling in and I'm so glad I went with Schedule 40 unions instead of the grey sch80. Couple pics to show size comparison. These are both 1" unions

received_4400762996691336.jpeg

received_901433910553423.jpeg

received_708696693602818.jpeg

And here are a couple pics of frags waiting on the new tank...

20220305_163429.jpg
20220305_164107.jpg
20220304_185901.jpg

OP
OP
rtparty

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
What should be a fun and joyous update is actually bad news and depression. Nothing went to plan the last 3 days and the FW test was a complete failure.

The story is too long to type on my phone right now, and if I'm being honest, I'm too defeated to continue on with this setup for the moment.

I watched almost a year of planning completely fail me on every level.

This hobby is brutal at times.

Acropora52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry man, in most things once you've had some time to reflect and recover from a trauma there's some silver lining. When you're ready to share maybe people following along can help. I've been where you are multiple times over 25 years of reefing

OP
OP
rtparty

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It's been a few days and I've had time to cool down and reflect on what all transpired. I plan to add pics later once I get things cleaned up and organized. Let's be honest, everyone only looks for pics in build threads anyway :p

In short, there a couple design "flaws" with this dream system. Not really flaws though. Just inconveniences that don't really have a remedy. I plan to address each in their own post when I have time to sit down and explain each best I can. I really hope it helps someone down the road.

The good news? I found the plumbing issue! Major major win here

The mediocre news? I have to cut up the main siphon and reduce it down to 1". Gate valve and all plumbing have been ordered already.

The bad news? The Synergy Reef overflow is poorly designed and I'm not sure it will ever quiet down to my satisfaction. I can not recommend it and I hope Joe stops recommending it.

More to come later.

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's been a few days and I've had time to cool down and reflect on what all transpired. I plan to add pics later once I get things cleaned up and organized. Let's be honest, everyone only looks for pics in build threads anyway :p

In short, there a couple design "flaws" with this dream system. Not really flaws though. Just inconveniences that don't really have a remedy. I plan to address each in their own post when I have time to sit down and explain each best I can. I really hope it helps someone down the road.

The good news? I found the plumbing issue! Major major win here

The mediocre news? I have to cut up the main siphon and reduce it down to 1". Gate valve and all plumbing have been ordered already.

The bad news? The Synergy Reef overflow is poorly designed and I'm not sure it will ever quiet down to my satisfaction. I can not recommend it and I hope Joe stops recommending it.

More to come later.

I bought a used SCA with a Synergy overflow and saw the tank running. It was completely silent.
It's the 16" version with 1" output and 3/4" returns. He wasn't running heavy flow through it. I think the problems arise with these type of overflows when you try to run flow too high and you get a splashing sound from the tank to the overflow box.

I have a 40 breeder with a different brand and had the same noise issues. I had to run the pump to match the siphon speed to avoid the noise. Not sure that's your problem but from experience there is some trial and error matching pipe overflow size/gph flow with return flow.

The easiest way to deal with it is to have a controllable return pump you can match up to how the siphon works. The GPH that makes it silent is what you accept.

I posted this mainly to help others as it sounds like you have it figured out to your satisfaction.

Last edited:
OP
OP
rtparty

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I bought a used SCA with a Synergy overflow and saw the tank running. It was completely silent.
It's the 16" version with 1" output and 3/4" returns. He wasn't running heavy flow through it. I think the problems arise with these type of overflows when you try to run flow too high and you get a splashing sound from the tank to the overflow box.

I have a 40 breeder with a different brand and had the same noise issues. I had to run the pump to match the siphon speed to avoid the noise. Not sure that's your problem but from experience there is some trial and error matching pipe overflow size/gph flow with return flow.

The easiest way to deal with it is to have a controllable return pump you can match up to how the siphon works. The GPH that makes it silent is what you accept.

I posted this mainly to help others as it sounds like you have it figured out to your satisfaction.

Correct. The final piece of the puzzle I can't solve is the water dropping into the weir.

The Synergy box is rated up to 2500gph. I was hoping for 1000gph or 4x turnover. I have 2 Sicce SDC 7.0 pumps. Plenty of control available. I believe I have both running at 24% right now and can't get the splashing to go away. It's a terrible design overall. I'm thinking some closed cell type foam in the inner box might alleviate the splashing sound. At least a little bit.

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is the Synergy on my tank.

Not sure if this helps but are these elbows supplied with the overflow box? They would need to be submerged into the outer box water level and lower than the hole from the tank. That should keep everything silent.

synergy 3.jpg

overflow 1.jpg
synergy 2.jpg

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 67 39.9%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 85 50.6%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back