Jellyfish tank in tank? Does this even work

zelik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw this online, does this even work in a reef tank? How does it provide the right circular flow without a spray bar? Anyone seen this used?

Wife wants a jellyfish tank and I saw this while researching.
IMG_3669.png
IMG_3670.png

OP
OP
Z

zelik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's different sizes, but yeah how would you remove algae.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact James at Envision in Oregon. He is an expert with Kreisel type jellyfish aquariums.

I don't believe this item will work for long term jellyfish keeping. Jellyfish feed from food in the water and a special tank is required.

Last edited:

jdubDaReefGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It appears the flow in your tank would go through the holes and push the jellies around. Since it’s circular, they should just rotate around it. They sell nano desktop jellie tanks. Such as the photo attached. It’s like 8”x3” and used for nano jellies such as these two (leuckartiara octona, Eirene lactoides)
Depending on the jellyfish you pick and the size of that insert, I don’t see why it would be an issue.

As far as cleaning it, just use a toothbrush or something similar and just give it a little scrub every few days.

IMG_2425.png

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's interesting and could potentially work, but you would still need to specifically feed the jellyfish. I don't think I've seen these little HOB Kriesel tanks before, but I have seen people use basically large versions of these inserts to convert a rectangular tank to a DIY Kriesel tank for jellies with some success - it's been a long time since I looked into it though:
You can technically keep them in a rectangular tank, but I strongly recommend against it, as you need to do some pretty intense flow manipulation to get them suspended just right so they don't have issues with the bottom/sides/corners and so you don't have too many dead zones. A Kreisel tank (the standard style of tank for keeping jellyfish) is definitely a better way to go for jellyfish. I know people have done DIY Kreisel tanks (basically Kreisel tank inserts that are put into rectangular aquariums), but I've only seen it done on small tanks - so, doing a large DIY Kreisel may be pretty difficult and/or expensive, I don't know for sure.

Also, to sort of answer the other questions in your initial post, I'd recommend figuring out which species of jellyfish you want to keep and researching their specific needs (some may need a chiller while others may need a heater, for example). I'd also recommend looking at general jellyfish care/tank maintenance, as jellyfish aquarium needs are quite different from normal aquarium needs (and I'd really suggest researching jellyfish and their needs prior to deciding if you really want to keep them). The article linked below is a good place to start.
All of that said, personally, I'd say to do something else (like a coldwater tank or something unusual like a giant marine hermit crab tank) with the square tank, but if you really want to you could at least theoretically modify your tank to be jellyfish friendly.
Edit: To add - part of what makes the Kriesel tanks so much better for jellyfish is the way the flow works in them; it keeps the food (and jellies) suspended in the water column with no dead zones. I'd imagine imitating that flow/food suspension properly would be tough but potentially possible in these little HOB Kriesel inserts - it may require some interesting equipment placement though.

Back