LPS receding help!

devlinsreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow reefers! Currently dealing with Dino’s in my system and I am seeing a lot of receding from LPS that has been make than happy prior to Dino’s being present and even during. Just over the last week or two they have really taken a hit. Currently I am running GAC changing about every 4-5 days. I have been dosing bacteria, phyto and silicates daily. I did have a bit of an alk spike since dosing silicates and consumption has dropped. I usually run 8.5 and it jumped to 10. Anybody have any thoughts or ideas on what I can do to save these guys or what is happening? I am also losing some color on my SPS as well.

Current parameters:
Nitrate: 35 normally like to be around 25
Phos: 0.08
Alk: 10.2 normally run around 8.5
Mag: 1400
Cal: 420

LPS that is fine: Duncan, acan and a Goni

LPS receding: two hammers, two torches, frogspawn, and recently lost a Goni.

Here are some pics for reference! Thanks for anyone’s input.

7E742428-1A16-404D-BDE8-E06BDA2E75B0.jpeg
IMG_4386.jpeg IMG_4677.jpeg IMG_4780.jpeg IMG_4782.jpeg IMG_4783.jpeg IMG_4827.jpeg

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks like stability has been lost with the alk, nitrate, and dosing of multiple things. I would try to get back to stabilizing to your typical levels. How long have you had these euphyllia?

OP
OP
D

devlinsreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like stability has been lost with the alk, nitrate, and dosing of multiple things. I would try to get back to stabilizing to your typical levels. How long have you had these euphyllia?
My thoughts as well. Looking to get things back down to normal levels. Dosing has been done just for Dino’s as I usually dose bacteria weekly not daily. I’ve had these pieces since October

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sudden jump in Alk can indicate that corals have slow down consumption, are unhappy etc…
The Dino is likely the reason.

So from my experience I do get Dino’s when NO3/PO4 are at the so called acceptable level and the big 3 alk , calcium and Mag are also ok.

In March this year I had my last outbreak and even my GSP was not happy:
1714839311787.jpeg

So far I been able to trace these outbreaks to following element or trace elements being on the low side or zero: Bromine, potassium, molybdenum and zinc.

Once I top them up this particular outbreak disappeared. Here is the same GSP today:

1714840022679.jpeg

Also I reduced my light intensity by 10%.
Just my experience.

Anyways once you deal with the Dino’s your corals will likely improve.

Good luck,

OP
OP
D

devlinsreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sudden jump in Alk can indicate that corals have slow down consumption, are unhappy etc…

So from my experience I do get Dino’s when NO3/PO4 are at the so called acceptable level and the big 3 alk , calcium and Mag are also ok.

1714839311787.jpeg

So far I been able to trace these outbreaks to following element or trace elements being on the low side or zero: Bromine, potassium, molybdenum and zinc.

Once I top them up this particular outbreak disappeared. Here is the same GSP today:

1714840022679.jpeg

Just my experience.

Good luck,
Thanks for the note! That is some great things to keep in mind. I did do an ICP test I am waiting to get results back so that should help indicate some levels. Smart idea on the light intensity as well as I have seen that playing a big factor in some dino battles.

My thoughts as well, once the dinos are gone I should see some improvement. GSP is look awesome!

Leadfooted

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

1714839311787.jpeg

1714840022679.jpeg

Just my experience.

Good luck,
Do you know what type of Dino you had?

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know what type of Dino you had?
Not this time, I have microscope and I tried to identify them in past but I found every possible type so I packed it up.

I had this before done the same trace element top up and it goes away. I have no scientific explanation for it and the Dino’s and ICP discussion tend to get heated so I keep out. The treatment I picked up from the German reefers / Fauna Marin and it works for me for now so that is good enough. Sometimes what to do is enough, I don’t want to be Dino’s expert.
This outbreak I can almost trigger at will and this time I let some of these particular elements and trace elements drop on purpose to see what happens. Also took some pictures just to make sure I was not imagining it.
Next I top them up and 2-3 weeks later it all improves. (Iodine is also important).
My NO3/PO4 was as follow:
1715001905888.jpeg

Not zero but elevated PO4.

I also did not let this go for long, so things might have turned ugly.

GSP this morning:
1715002269532.jpeg

Time for haircut…

Good luck,

OP
OP
D

devlinsreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1714839311787.jpeg

1714840022679.jpeg

Just my experience.

Good luck,
Curious on your thoughts here. Just got my first ICP test and things are pretty in line for the most part. I have a huge issue with calcium reader as it is 100 points off and low calcium could be my reason on top of dinos. But more a question pertaining to your trace levels. The 4 you mentioned are as follows:
Bromine: 65 ideal value is 63 per ICP
Potassium: 382 idela value is 382
molybdenum: 8.7 ideal value 10-15
zinc: 0.91 ideal value is 1-3.

In your experience do you think these values being ever so slightly low could be causing dinos. I have installed a UV and I do seem to be seeing a decrease but just curious on your thoughts.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 42 20.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 149 73.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.9%
Back